Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Augustine's Evo V

User Info Menu

Default Augustine's Evo V

Hey everyone!

Finally got my Evo V and changed all of the fluids except coolant and AYC so far.

The car runs great but has the AYC light on in the dash. Not sure what is causing it but I hope it goes out after I change the fluid.

I got the battery tested as well and Canadian Tire said it's no good. I want to replace it but am unsure which battery will work. It's a small battery with small terminals.

Here are a few pictures of the beast. I still need to clean the outside and the dash and console on the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.
    Last edited by augustinemonteiro; 12-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.

EvoIVOwner Guest

Nice car! The AYC is by far the most common problem on these cars. The light coming on can indicate multiple things, however changing the fluid is definitely the right place to start. Check out the thread for Rygar's Evo V, he has been having nothing but problems with the AYC since he's gotten his Evo months ago. I had an Evo IV over a year ago and I had the same issues with it as well. Hopefully changing out the fluid will help!

Also as far as batteries go, one battery I know will fit is the Odyssey battery, since it's on my friends Evo V. Click here to see the website, where you can search for a dealer location.

Hope everything goes well, and keep us posted on your progress with the car!

User Info Menu

The battery from a newer model honda civic should fit too, it`s what i got in mine
    1998 Mitsubishi Evo 5 GSR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EvoIVOwner View Post
    Nice car! The AYC is by far the most common problem on these cars. The light coming on can indicate multiple things, however changing the fluid is definitely the right place to start. Check out the thread for Rygar's Evo V, he has been having nothing but problems with the AYC since he's gotten his Evo months ago. I had an Evo IV over a year ago and I had the same issues with it as well. Hopefully changing out the fluid will help!

Also as far as batteries go, one battery I know will fit is the Odyssey battery, since it's on my friends Evo V. Click here to see the website, where you can search for a dealer location.

Hope everything goes well, and keep us posted on your progress with the car!

Will do! Inspection coming up on Wednesday, hope everything goes well. I'll post again soon with detailed pics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rzhang View Post
    The battery from a newer model honda civic should fit too, it`s what i got in mine
    Did you have to fit new terminal connectors? I found the terminals on the current battery seem to be really small.

User Info Menu

Wicked looking car bud, glad it all worked out for you.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

I had to put new connectors on the end of my battery wires to fit the bigger terminals on batteries you get here. Really easy job.

User Info Menu

Battery size for the evo 5 is a 51R battery which as previously stated is the one used in most previous generation civics.

User Info Menu

What battery would people recommend for very cold weather? I bought some cheap one at the local parts store (auto eXtra?) and in this -5 weather it cranks about 5-6 times then dies. It says 500 Cold Cranking Amps. So looking at an Optima Yellow top but the 51R only has 450 Cold Cranking Amps...any thoughts on if the yellow top would be better then my cheap one?

Sorry OP if I am jacking your thread.

User Info Menu

I'm just running a canadian tire 51R Motomaster battery which cost around $90. Hasn't given me any trouble yet, but it has yet to hit below -15 here. I have heard of some yellowtops being very difficult in extremely cold weather but then again most lead acid batteries will suffer in cold weather. In extreme weathers like that perhaps it may be beneficial to run a battery warmer as well.