Thread: EVO Rust Warning

User Info Menu

Default EVO Rust Warning

I'm using one of our member's unfortunate experience here as a warning because I've heard rust on various EVOs may be common on the IVs/Vs at least.

I've also seen a few examples privately and publicly of sellers who send their EVOs to auction with serious, but well hidden rust damage.

http://forums.jdmvip.com/Augustines_...VO-6134-t-3#29

When the owner wants to hide it usually they'll paint black over the whole underbody/main areas of rust and even use undercoating. A good Exporter who inspects the car on a lift will get the hint that "it's too clean" and look carefully and normally find it and can put in a claim, return the car to auction at the seller's expense AFAIK. But companies who only offer "Straight to port RO/RO service" can't and won't be able to do this, and even more-so they may notice it but turn a blind-eye to it (too much hassle for some Exporters) so buyer beware especially if you are going for a model with known rust issues.

It's also possible that this is from accident damage in the rear that is not repaired well. I'm not sure, but it seems with cases like these happening with EVOs it's worth mentioning.

If anyone has more info about this and what other EVOs suffer from this/why then please post here too.

I hope this helps prospective EVO buyers and hope no one else gets one of these hidden rust examples because they're costly to fix or may not be road-worthy in some cases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    But companies who only offer "Straight to port RO/RO service" can't and won't be able to do this, and even more-so they may notice it but turn a blind-eye to it (too much hassle for some Exporters) so buyer beware especially if you are going for a model with known rust issues.

I hope this helps prospective EVO buyers ...
    We used to send direct to port before we had our garage. Now we give the option, and 90% of our clients send to us first for an inspection, photos and video.

This is not exclusive to EVOs. We have found rust and corrosion on Hiluxes and Imprezas in the past.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

No offense, but we only seem to have one Evo-owning member suffering from this on the forums, I don't think it justifies a 'warning' to anyone looking for an Evo. Mine has zero rust on it, that's like me starting a thread saying that no one needs to worry about it because I don't....
    There is a lot of Evo generalization cropping up lately that is bordering on irrational paranoia.
    Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
    No offense, but we only seem to have one Evo-owning member suffering from this on the forums, I don't think it justifies a 'warning' to anyone looking for an Evo. Mine has zero rust on it, that's like me starting a thread saying that no one needs to worry about it because I don't....
    There is a lot of Evo generalization cropping up lately that is bordering on irrational paranoia.
    Just sayin'.
    I think I got really unlucky with this one. Auction sheets are usually pretty accurate when it comes to the body of the car. The rotting rear end of my car was well masked on purpose and unfortunately did not get found out until the OOP inspection. I did not have the car send direct to port, it was inspected by the exporter with videos and pictures but it is difficult to see the cover ups without lifting the car and having a good look.
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V (Silver) - Sold
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V (White)
    2009 Triumph Street Triple R (Matte Orange)
    2004 Subaru Forester 2.5X

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by augustinemonteiro View Post
    I think I got really unlucky with this one. Auction sheets are usually pretty accurate when it comes to the body of the car. The rotting rear end of my car was well masked on purpose and unfortunately did not get found out until the OOP inspection. I did not have the car send direct to port, it was inspected by the exporter with videos and pictures but it is difficult to see the cover ups without lifting the car and having a good look.
    There's no question you ended up on the wrong end of a shit stick, and it sucks. But that doesn't automatically makes it an Evo problem. Anyone can cover up their rusty cars like this.

User Info Menu

There's no question you ended up on the wrong end of a shit stick, and it sucks. But that doesn't automatically makes it an Evo problem. Anyone can cover up their rusty cars like this.
    That is correct, I have seen other cars with the same obvious cover-up.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

Just sayin'.
    Hey Rygar, no offense taken but the reason for this thread is because I did some digging and it looks like a lot of people in the UK say severe rust on these models is fairly common. One other thing to note is that some Exporters take more or less precautions to avoid the customer getting a rusty vehicle (I've seen some very scary pics of rust on different high-grade EVOs from multiple Exporters when I asked around).