Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Coast Auto's Derek email reply to my post

User Info Menu

Default Pacific Coast Auto's Derek email reply to my post

Hi all,

In posting this thread, I am opening myself up to getting attacked, but frankly I really don't care. I have had enough of dancing around issues caused by a certain exporter, and I find his latest email to me to be the breaking point.

Today I received a lengthy email from Derek at Pacific Coast Auto regarding a post I made earlier on a thread called "Augustine's Evo V". The post I made called into question his statement that I was making assumptions to facts that one of his clients posted regarding the experience of dealing with chassis corrosion.

Here is my post:

-----
    Derek,
    What did we (exporters) assume incorrectly? That you can make a claim after a vehicle has been exported? That it is acceptable to make statements that a claim can be made months after a vehicle has been bought? Did I assume incorrectly that an exporter with experience doesn't know the auction regulations on making a claim?

I am not assuming anything, I am stating fact as reported. And I get angry when I see outright mis-information regarding the buying/exporting process because once a client has been mis-lead, and another exporter attempts to put right the correct process, which may be unfavorable to a client, the client then makes me the villain, when in fact I am not.

Don't blame other exporters for calling into question mis-information generated by your clients. It only makes you look worse

------

I found my post to be balanced and informative since I am very familiar with the claim process, and from what Pacific's client said he was told, Derek is not familiar.

I now quote what Derek starts off with in his email to me.

In the case of Augustine and his Evo, I told him flat out at the beginning that the auction would not claim it and I offered a discount around what my profit would be for that vehicle. Upon further conversation and known his situation more, I agreed to accept his request that I see what the auction would say about it. I know a claim is impossible for it. However, this case is a little complex since the rust was hidden by aluminum tape. We might need to know that the auction's official response was so I asked them to write it out. We might need to pursue it further with criminal complaints. I have not asked for advice from the police about it but it might be an option.
    end quote

Huh? This is different from what the client said in his post on December 2 "The car is not an accident car and only surface rust was indicated on the auction sheet. I spoke to my exporter, Derek at Pacific Coast about it and he is trying to get in touch with the auction house to make a claim."

I have not known auctions to write anything about anything that is already in the auction manual. Also, I find the comment about "pursue it further with criminal complaints" to be naive. What can be done? That car was EXPORTED! Who is the criminal? The auction seller? Not a chance. The auctions clearly state, in the auction rules and regulations, that its "buyer beware" and its up to the buyer to confirm the condition of the vehicle prior to buying. Except in rare cases can a claim be made, and that claim is accepted by the seller. I would think that perhaps in the case of this Evo, there was a chance that a claim could have been made, but the car was EXPORTED. But a criminal case? I don't think so.

The next point is credit to both me and Mark at Brave Auto.

The sticking point of this case was whether I should be responsible to pay for hidden damage which would be difficult to find given the resources we have. Unlike you or Mark, I don't have a lift so undercar checks consist of taking pictures from multiple angles. The pictures were sent to the customer and I looked at them. You can clearly see rust but there are no areas that look corroded.
    end quote

Well, I am certainly glad that Mark and I are acknowledged for having the advantage of a lift to do a proper chassis inspection. This is a point that I am proud to advertise about our inspection service at a professional garage, unlike an inspection done at port.

I worry about the fact that Derek is saying "whether I should be responsible to pay for hidden damage which would be difficult to find given the resources we have". Frankly, if you are doing an inspection and you are claiming to use this as a sales point, then using the fact that you don't have a car lift as an excuse, when something goes wrong, only proves that what you are offering is not beneficial to your client. However, Derek then says:

All in all, I have accepted his claim. The reasoning is that the customer has been helpful to me, I believe that there were enough red flags that I should have inspected more, and I understand that the customer is in a position where he is in a pinch. He and I were careful to decline every car with more than surface rust and it came down to me translating the sheet too quickly and looking at the car too quickly. Those are my shortcomings. I would certainly be upset if it were me.
    end quote

Ok, that is a definite plus for Derek, admitting fault. This goes a long way.

Then the poop hits the fan, as I find the next sentence to be infuriating!

I think that I represent a very small minority of exporters who would claim such a thing. Congratulations if you are part of that club too.
    end quote

WTF? Congrats if I am part of that club too??? Where do you get off saying something like that? This statement is the whole reason why I decided to take my time on a Friday night to bring to a public forum.

Dude, please get off your f^%$ing high-horse, stick to teaching English, and leave the professional full-time car exporting to guys like Mark and I.

I really don't know where he gets off congratulating me for being honest. And, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in assets with my garage, car yard, shipping business and now my car dismantling business, I find a part-time exporter, full-time teacher congratulating me for being honest to be insulting.

The next part of the email is Derek complaining about how much money he will lose.
    I will pay out for this and I will lose an estimated 15 vehicle's profit. It is not an easy thing to swallow. I assume that you make about 50,000 yen per vehicle, then accepting a claim for 750,000 yen based on not climbing under the car seems expensive doesn't it?
    end quote

Here he is assuming how much profit I make. Stop assuming.

The final part is Derek commenting on his ongoing issue with Areeb. But I am not going to quote that part since it is not relevant to the issues I have with Derek's statements.
    Last edited by Sastrad; 12-20-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

Hello Steve,

I am very sorry to anger you. It was the exact opposite reaction I was trying to get. I tried to write the email in a sincere, positive way and reach out to you for some understanding. The entire email is posted below and the readers can decide if my tone was poor. If so, I am sorry. It can be difficult to understand tone in an email.

May I mention just one mistake -
    I am not an English teacher and have not been for a while.

We opened this company in 2008 through lots of hard work. I was working as a full time teacher then and I would put in about 80 - 100 hours of work per week between the two jobs. Moving my family to Japan and starting a company was a risky thing.

It did not take long before we were making enough profit for me to quit teaching. I quit teaching full time in 2009, about 6 months after we exported our first car. I worked less and less part time until I could outright stop. Now, I work about 60 - 80 hours per week exclusively as an exporter.

When I was purchasing cars from you (Sastrad) in 2008, I told you I was a teacher but now is 6 years later.

I think that the story of our startup would be interesting and inspirational. I would love to write a blog post about it but that is for another time.

Here is the email I sent to you -
    Two paragraphs have been removed for privacy reasons but they are the same two that you didn't post due to irrelevance.

Hi Steve,

I hope you and your family are doing well.

I just wanted to write this to you off the forum cause I don't think it needs to be public.

First off, sorry if I offended you. I tried to find a way to say that without coming off too hard. Since the fraud claim from Areeb, I have had a number of times when people have been disbelieving me and many of the cases come from customers who said that other exporters said this or that. This was not the first time. Like me, you consider honesty to be a prized personality trait. I think that people like us are particularly infuriated when we are called out for lying.

In the case of Augustine and his Evo, I told him flat out at the beginning that the auction would not claim it and I offered a discount around what my profit would be for that vehicle. Upon further conversation and knowing his situation more, I agreed to accept his request that I see what the auction would say about it. I know a claim is impossible for it. However, this case is a little complex since the rust was hidden by aluminum tape. We might need to know that the auction's official response was so I asked them to write it out. We might need to pursue it further with criminal complaints. I have not asked for advice from the police about it but it might be an option.

The sticking point of this case was whether I should be responsible to pay for hidden damage which would be difficult to find given the resources we have. Unlike you or Mark, I don't have a lift so undercar checks consist of taking pictures from multiple angles. The pictures were sent to the customer and I looked at them. You can clearly see rust but there are no areas that look corroded.

All in all, I have accepted his claim. The reasoning is that the customer has been helpful to me, I believe that there were enough red flags that I should have inspected more, and I understand that the customer is in a position where he is in a pinch. He and I were careful to decline every car with more than surface rust and it came down to me translating the sheet too quickly and looking at the car too quickly. Those are my shortcomings. I would certainly be upset if it were me. I think that I represent a very small minority of exporters who would claim such a thing. Congratulations if you are part of that club too.

I will pay out for this and I will lose an estimated 15 vehicle's profit. It is not an easy thing to swallow. I assume that you make about 50,000 yen per vehicle, then accepting a claim for 750,000 yen based on not climbing under the car seems expensive doesn't it?

***Edit - I have removed two paragraphs regarding the claim developments between us and Areeb.

Anyways, I went on too long there. I just want to clear it up that I want to pass these troubles with the least amount of pain and stress. Being on the same side as you is the best for both of us. Surrounding yourself with the right people is important in life.

All the best to your wife and son as well.
    I am no longer a regular member on this board. I posted this to clear up misinformation which could be damaging to me and my company. I will not be following up from here unless there is more misinformation.

Thank you

User Info Menu

Default more mis-information

Derek,
    Ok, so I apologize for calling you a current English teacher. Except for calling you a teacher, I still stand by my comments.

There is, however, a point of correction of more mis-information you have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post

When I was purchasing cars from you (Sastrad) in 2008, I told you I was a teacher but now is 6 years later.
    When you started buying with SASTRAD, you did not have direct auction access and used my company to do your auction bidding. Your SASTRAD auction access at www.japancarexportsonline.net was first activated on April 9, 2009. You did not buy from us prior to that. And I recall you telling me in 2009 that you were an English teacher. Our last transaction with you was January 2010.

So, stating you were purchasing with SASTRAD in 2008 is incorrect.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

All this drama.. Sigh.

JDMVIP home for the JDm related slander/gossip/he-says/she-says BS/now im posting not taking any sides just telling everyone to look at themselves in the mirror.. and ask a simple question.

"Is arguing on the internet really the way i want to spend Christmas?"

if it is.. then by all means continue these pointless posts.

Ho Ho Ho

Merry Christmas

User Info Menu

I don't often post, I only post when I either have something to contribute or a funny video, but I always watch the forums.

I don't think what Steve did was wrong, considering this all happened because the exporter (Derek) lied, not just in our case with our Aristo, but with other customers. And this should show that this lying is something Derek can easily do to save himself and still insist he did nothing wrong.

I look at it this way, Steve got called out for something, he didn't run away, he didn't deny it, he didn't blame or attack others, he straight up owned it and did the right thing.

That's what Derek should have done after getting caught. But he didn't, instead he tried in JDMVIP's thread to degrade him, brought his friends to insult, and harass him and our complaint. Which he admitted he did on purpose. So he admits to trying to ruin the forums because he didn't want to admit to any wrong doing.

Hunter, we have had little interaction, but I think 2 threads out of thousands, isn't going to somehow make JDMVIP.com look like a gossip and slander hole. You kept quiet when the real slander was happening LOL

JDMVIP.com was created because there are too many dirty exporters getting away doing their dirty work. This place is exactly the place to bring out and show who are the dirty one's and who is not- as long as it's a valid complaint, which has pretty much always been the case with JDMVIP members.

I've learned something from this experience that I take to all aspects of my life outside of the forums, and that is: Just because the person smiles and is friendly and everyone loves him; doesn't mean anything. It's clear from the email Steve showed, that Derek has dedicated more time to screw and discredit Areeb, than actually try to make things right.

And I'm really sorry to all the exporters who have for years done a great job, who have tried to be ethical and do right to the customer; and now have to deal with Derek's mess. Because of what Derek did, I'm sure you are all getting customers who are more careful, who ask more questions, who do more research and above all ask for proof.

Phew, that's a lot. I'm a girl so I don't know a lot about exporters and exporting, but I know what happened during our experience and I know we got screwed.

It's just one thread, if people stop posting because of one thread, then they really weren't jdmvip'ers in the 1st place

User Info Menu

i wasnt pointing fingers.. just merely saying that there is a lot of name calling from person A to person B and back again these days..

2013 is the year for that.

carry on. :-)

User Info Menu

Name calling?...You should read Areeb's review on Pacifc Coast- that's chalk full of name calling to an epic level. LOL .LIKE. EPIC.

I don't think anyone called anyone a name on here, but I don't know what else you would call someone who's lying?..

And it's not fun to carry on...it's been a year for us, and this crap has not settled for us at all.

User Info Menu

Whoa guys OK well I have to do two responses here lol. One as an unbiased moderator and one as an unhappy customer from Pacific Coast JDM/Derek.

Unbiased Moderator being put in a unfair/difficult position lol:

How did this thread even come about? As far as I can see it's because of Augustine's EVO's V thread where reputable Exporters took issue and corrected misinformation about the claims process and other comments by Pacific Coast JDM (FYI it's not just Steve and Mark who have been upset and have said essentially the same).

I'm sure dah_hunter didn't mean to condemn jdmvip.com with his comments but if this is drama, I've seen a lot worse over the years and it's never been considered an issue unless it involved this one particular Exporter for some reason. hunter is right that drama is not good though, I've worked very hard to keep it drama free and positive, but it's hard when legitimate complaints come up. And for some reason we have never had this kind of drama on the forums except for this one particular exporter- Pacific Coast JDM.

We've never shyed away from controversy or drama when exposing harmful/dirty practices by Exporters and I'm proud of that part (and it is our duty not to let any relationship with an Exporter impact that). If we did then this site would have failed in it goals and I've never bowed to the numerous threats (some quite serious even) that I've received over the years (not even the past/current mods know about some of it). I don't do this for any gain except as a hobby and for personal satisfaction that we're helping people and that we don't get bought off like many other car forums where you can't post anything negative about a company even if it's 200% true.

I'll refer back to the rules, I really don't want any flame wars on here and I don't see that happening in this case, just for the most part people making their points/debates back and forth. What could escalate things out of control only happens when one person recruits an army of people behind the scenes to post specific things to make their point right/wrong seem like the correct one but fortunately that is not happening this time.

Unhappy Customer

Wow, what do I have to do with any of this and why is my name being dragged through the mud for no reason? I have no idea why poor Augustine's experience with his EVO V's huge rust bill for a car that never should have been bidded on or Exported makes it fair for Pacific Coast JDM to start another campaign against me. I've done nothing but suffer since making the mistake as choosing him as my Exporter, the only good that came out of it is that I helped a lot of people from going through the same thing as me.

Derek if you truly respected my privacy you wouldn't have left in the complaint about me that started at the beginning. This is a good example of how people use whatever means possible to achieve ulterior goals.

I have no personal issue with Derek or his group but he clearly has one with me and is using whatever means he can to victimize himself while actually doing harm to my reputation in an attempt to gain sympathy and make the issues I've uncovered go away as he's admitted to doing.

I really don't want to stoop to the level you've gone to, but if it helps you or others understand that you are not being honest about the situation with me, then I will post our e-mails and highlight your ever-changing thoughts and comments and promises to me.

I strongly resent this propaganda you've been on about since June that "I haven't worked or co-operated with you", it was you who broke off contact and ignored the phone conference, my phone calls and e-mails after I confronted you and you were 100% aware of what and why I would be posting what I did in order to protect others, and I think 6 months and now nearly 12 months has been generous of me not to take more action against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Hello Steve,

I am very sorry to anger you. It was the exact opposite reaction I was trying to get. I tried to write the email in a sincere, positive way and reach out to you for some understanding. The entire email is posted below and the readers can decide if my tone was poor. If so, I am sorry. It can be difficult to understand tone in an email.

May I mention just one mistake -
    I am not an English teacher and have not been for a while.

We opened this company in 2008 through lots of hard work. I was working as a full time teacher then and I would put in about 80 - 100 hours of work per week between the two jobs. Moving my family to Japan and starting a company was a risky thing.

It did not take long before we were making enough profit for me to quit teaching. I quit teaching full time in 2009, about 6 months after we exported our first car. I worked less and less part time until I could outright stop. Now, I work about 60 - 80 hours per week exclusively as an exporter.

I think that the story of our startup would be interesting and inspirational. I would love to write a blog post about it but that is for another time.

Here is the email I sent to you -
    Two paragraphs have been removed for privacy reasons but they are the same two that you didn't post due to irrelevance.

I am no longer a regular member on this board. I posted this to clear up misinformation which could be damaging to me and my company. I will not be following up from here unless there is more misinformation.

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by dah_hunter View Post
    All this drama.. Sigh.

JDMVIP home for the JDm related slander/gossip/he-says/she-says BS/now im posting not taking any sides just telling everyone to look at themselves in the mirror.. and ask a simple question.

"Is arguing on the internet really the way i want to spend Christmas?"

if it is.. then by all means continue these pointless posts.

Ho Ho Ho

Merry Christmas

User Info Menu

IMO this thread shouldn't be about JDMVIP vs PCA, and that subject has taken the thread over.

User Info Menu

I can summarize my experience over the last decade to 4 lines:

15 year old used cars are 15 year old used cars
    Used car dealers are used car dealers
    You roll the dice, sometimes you roll snake eyes
    You are buying for uniqueness / fun, not for a daily driver

I buy cars from Japan because I like unique vehicles that don't break my bank account, but it's na´ve to think you are getting a car in "new condition" as some people would have you believe.

I know nothing of this incident beyond what I (wish I hadn't) read.