Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: EJ20G How to Remove IACV to clean it to cure cold start stall problems and wild idle

User Info Menu

Default Will these tools get to the bolt blocked by the IC?

I was thinking the first one below would work, if the socket will fit onto the bolt. I'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672953

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1226295928991

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672989

User Info Menu

I found someone on eBay selling "remanufactured" IACV's from early model Subaru's, which basically means used.

So I believe with the right method it must be possible to fix most of the issues with the IACV by thorough and proper cleaning.

I think the reason so many people report having to replace the IACV is because they don't fully remove, and fully clean the entire unit.

We'll find out as soon as I find a tool to get to that bolt. I don't want to shove the intercooler anymore.

User Info Menu

I haven't had a chance to buy anything, but a 10mm socket will fit the bolt. The S-Wrench set above has 10mm so that might be perfect.

If not this stubby ratchet with a 1/4" 10mm socket should do the trick I hope.

User Info Menu

OK so the stubby ratchet and the S-Wrenches are out.

The stubby ratchet would work but the head is too thick to fit in the space.
    The s-wrench would have been perfect but as the pic shows the ring around the part that makes contact with the bolt is too wide and thick, there isn't enough clearance around the IACV housing.

So does anyone else have any ideas of what might work?

User Info Menu

I haven't done anything, but the weird thing is the car has consistently started on the first try even in the cold for the past few days.

I know I didn't clean it well enough, but maybe some crap got dislodged and stuck somewhere, and maybe over these weeks it freed itself and burned up or something like that.

I still need to clean it again, especially the intake area too.

If someone has any suggestions for easily getting to the intercooler let me know please!

User Info Menu

hey guys havin problem with the icv

User Info Menu

Hey yash, are you having trouble with yours too?

Mine seems to be getting better, here in Vancouver, Canada I started the car for the first time in freezing conditions and it started more strongly and quickly than ever before.

It seems if things are very cold it works much better. I still need to give it another thorough cleaning though.

User Info Menu

Just another update, as it got very cold last night I did need a second try to start Impreza.

Can anyone else let us know how their IACV is doing? I think BenC doesn't have this problem with his, he's one of the few.

User Info Menu

It was -3 and the car started strong on the first start. Can anyone let us know how their IACV is doing and what temperatures they're starting the car at?

User Info Menu

my car starts -20 no prob