Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EJ20G How to Remove IACV to clean it to cure cold start stall problems and wild idle

User Info Menu

At least we know some IACV's after all these years have no problem at all. BenC is the first person I've heard from who doesn't have any issues.

I wonder if the previous owner of your car might have cleaned it every few years or if you're just lucky.

It seems more likely that if your car had those mods, the owner knew what he was doing and took care of things like cleaning IACV.

User Info Menu

The last time the car didn't start on the first try was so many days ago. The car seems more likely to start strong and the first time in the cold.

I was worried things would get worse but they've gotten better in the cold.

User Info Menu

I thought I'd update this, puckhead found a video on YouTube where someone with cold start problems traced it back to the "temperature sensor"
    http://jdmvip.com/jdmcarforums/showthread.php?t=792

In the video puckhead found I have to say that is very similar to what my car does, on the first start it sometimes dies instantly (depending on the temperature outside). The second try is always good. The thing is that things did improve when I cleaned the IACV, but I'm going to track down the temperature sensor and have a look for sure.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 01-05-2009 at 10:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I think my IACV may need to be replaced and I haven't had my temperature sensor replaced either though.

I'm going to start a new thread about this.

User Info Menu

Just to update it in this thread, the coolant temperature sensor did not do anything to cure this problem. (actually I found out after that the first sign of it being bad is if your fans come on when you first start the car). Does EJ20G have any other temperature sensors?

My next step will be to remove the top of the valve part with the two screws and clean that.

User Info Menu

I'm going to remove the "valve" which is the top part of the IACV and clean that portion to see if it helps.

If not I'll be trying a second hand IACV. The reason is because some people claim that even with a new IACV their cold start problems aren't always solved.

User Info Menu

Another question I have is could it just be the top "valve" which is bad and not the other parts of the IACV unit? Is this the reason why so many valve only parts are being sold on eBay UK?

User Info Menu

That would be wicked if it was only the top valve. Has no one ever only changed the top valve?
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Sorry I didn't have my camera phone for this.

Just to update, I feel stupid now but there's not really anything to be cleaned with this valve. I took off the two screws (almost stripped them before using degreaser/lubricant) and the valve pops off.

Once you remove the valve there is some cylinder that spins and at the top has a small hole and a gasket at the bottom of where the valve used to be. I just brake cleaned everything for fun but I don't think it will help anything. If there's a problem with this valve it's internal and there's no way to open it up to repair it or clean it.

The valve is basically hollow inside and there was some kind of metal lining which I sprayed for the hell of it.

The next step will be to find an entire unit from the UK (not just the valve). Just for fun I'll replace the valve only and then see if that helps, and if it doesn't of course the rest of the unit will be replaced.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 07-30-2009 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Really? That sucks. I think I'll try and remove mine tmorrow if I remember just to look at it. I do get a cel 24 once in a while from it so something has to be wrong.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!