Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing a MKIV Supra from the US to Canada

User Info Menu

Unhappy Importing a MKIV Supra from the US to Canada

TL;DR: Want to import a US Supra but don't know how much it'll cost or if it's worth the trouble.

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a problem.
    I have always wanted to buy a MKIV Supra, twin or single turbo 6 speed, yet every affordable Supra in Canada is a right hand drive. The only LHD cars are $28k +. I'd rather have a car that isn't a bit of a hassle to drive, so I thought of importing a US Supra. They're always what I'm looking for, yet the importing cost is what I'm unsure about. Has anyone done this before? Or know how much it would cost? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Should add: Budget is 16k for the car, may be less depending on the import fee

User Info Menu

You'll pay 5% GST on everything. On anything BUILT outside the USA, you'll also pay 6.1% duty. If the car is not 15 yet, then you'll pay $206 for the RIV fee. If it has AC, another $100. That's what I can remember, but it's been 6 years since I have imported from the States so things may have changed a little.

You will have a tough time finding a TT MKIV in your budget.
    Last edited by SilverStar; 01-15-2014 at 06:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Also may have to pay more in taxes depending on what province you live in. And yeah good luck on the search! LHD models are expensive!
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

I've seen a few for $15k in N.Y. State, reside in Ontario. Would a non-turbo be cheaper to deal with, and then convert it?

User Info Menu

If it was me I would avoid anything from the NE States. Vehicles are cheaper there for a reason, rust. Not saying you won't find one with your budget but you won't find what I consider to be a good one(one owner, all original, low miles) for that price.

As far as the conversion goes, I wouldn't bother. By the time it's said and done you could have bought a turbo version.

User Info Menu

Rhd is not really a "hassle" to drive. Yes its awkward at first, but in a week or so you won't even realize you are on that side.

In my opinion if you really want to stay in budget would be to import a rhd. You know it will have low kms and be in good shape. It is very hard to find a lhd for under 20k. Unless you want a rebuilt title or a damaged supra.
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhdgc8 View Post
    Rhd is not really a "hassle" to drive. Yes its awkward at first, but in a week or so you won't even realize you are on that side.
    Agreed. I was comfortable with it very quickly, first few drives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhdgc8 View Post

In my opinion if you really want to stay in budget would be to import a rhd. You know it will have low kms and be in good shape. It is very hard to find a lhd for under 20k. Unless you want a rebuilt title or a damaged supra.
    I'm a relatively new driver, that's why the right hand bit is a problem.

User Info Menu

Which province are you importing it to?