Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Proud new owner

User Info Menu

Lovely car, wanted one of these when I was a kid before I could drive

User Info Menu

*Update*

After doing some further research now that I am expecting a car, things look even more complicated.
    • You cannot get onto the docks to pickup your car unless you have a TWIC card. This means you have to pay someone who does to pick up your car and deliver it to you outside of the gate. The lowest price I have found is $150 (TWIC card price is $130 for 5 years, but takes up to 8 weeks to get cleared.)
    • If your exporter is not thorough with the cleaning of your car, Long Beach only seems to have one person certified to clean your car to required specs and the entry rate starts at $400 and goes up from there (Not including transport from docks to their facility)
    • The company that runs the docks there is SSA. They do answer basic questions, but are not 100% public friendly
    • Once Customs and Ag clear the car, you must make an appointment to pick up your cargo as you are not able to just show up and drive off.

This is very frustrating, but not impossible. I will do what it takes, and go with the flow but they have all these rules, regulations, and processes for more reasons than I will know, but it makes it seem like they do it to promote the use of an import agent. For some people, and agent is a perfect fit, but I like to be self sufficient. Maybe I can make a business out of it.

More to come, then I will write up a whole thread dedicated to the process and my experience.

User Info Menu

Question Cost?

Quote Originally Posted by rpk2012 View Post
    *Update*

After doing some further research now that I am expecting a car, things look even more complicated.
    • You cannot get onto the docks to pickup your car unless you have a TWIC card. This means you have to pay someone who does to pick up your car and deliver it to you outside of the gate. The lowest price I have found is $150 (TWIC card price is $130 for 5 years, but takes up to 8 weeks to get cleared.)
    • If your exporter is not thorough with the cleaning of your car, Long Beach only seems to have one person certified to clean your car to required specs and the entry rate starts at $400 and goes up from there (Not including transport from docks to their facility)
    • The company that runs the docks there is SSA. They do answer basic questions, but are not 100% public friendly
    • Once Customs and Ag clear the car, you must make an appointment to pick up your cargo as you are not able to just show up and drive off.

This is very frustrating, but not impossible. I will do what it takes, and go with the flow but they have all these rules, regulations, and processes for more reasons than I will know, but it makes it seem like they do it to promote the use of an import agent. For some people, and agent is a perfect fit, but I like to be self sufficient. Maybe I can make a business out of it.

More to come, then I will write up a whole thread dedicated to the process and my experience.
    May I ask...how much did the whole process cost you minus the cost of the car?

User Info Menu

Awesome thread! I emailed Mark today as I am interested as well in purchasing an '89 Supra. Which shipper did you use and how much was it? From my research RO/RO seems to be the cheapest, but I am having a hard time locating any information on arranging shipping for the car from Japan.

User Info Menu

ixelerate are you from the US? Normally RO/RO is cheaper but if you need inland shipping for a long distance sometimes container to your door makes more sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    ixelerate are you from the US? Normally RO/RO is cheaper but if you need inland shipping for a long distance sometimes container to your door makes more sense.
    Yes, I am from the US, and yes I"m trying to figure out the logistics of inland shipping! I live on the great lakes, but the only container ship we get at our port is from Germany. My closest port is about 400+ miles away. My thought was to use RO/RO to get it to port than contract a normal carrier to pick it up and transport it to me from there. I have a stupid question though, if the container is truly shipped to my door, how the heck do I get the car out of it? lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ixelerate View Post
    Yes, I am from the US, and yes I"m trying to figure out the logistics of inland shipping! I live on the great lakes, but the only container ship we get at our port is from Germany. My closest port is about 400+ miles away. My thought was to use RO/RO to get it to port than contract a normal carrier to pick it up and transport it to me from there. I have a stupid question though, if the container is truly shipped to my door, how the heck do I get the car out of it? lol
    Cool, well first of all it depends on what containers or boats from Japan go to what port (they don't go to all ports). If the port you have can receive the container directly then you'd need to pay to have it trucked to your house and most importantly there's the logistics of customs clearance and registration which not many normal people know how to do.

If you get your own container and just have enough car(s) on it that they can be simply driven on and off that's how'd you do it. Otherwise I've heard of others getting a fork lift. If you go container I recommend going in with a few friends or at least stuffing it with cheap parts to sell and make back some money off it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Cool, well first of all it depends on what containers or boats from Japan go to what port (they don't go to all ports). If the port you have can receive the container directly then you'd need to pay to have it trucked to your house and most importantly there's the logistics of customs clearance and registration which not many normal people know how to do.

If you get your own container and just have enough car(s) on it that they can be simply driven on and off that's how'd you do it. Otherwise I've heard of others getting a fork lift. If you go container I recommend going in with a few friends or at least stuffing it with cheap parts to sell and make back some money off it.
    I'm waiting to hear back from mark, and hopefully he will have some insight on the shipping coming out of Japan. From there I'll figure out the best way to get the car to me. I've shipping a fair amount of cars around the US. If I can figure a safe way to get the car out of the container via rollback or a dock I will look into that as well. Anyways, didn't mean to hijack this thread! Looking forward to following along the OP's story.

User Info Menu

Hello
    That is really nice, I have seen pictures of your car................Fantastic
    I am also looking forward for it