Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M2 WRX/STi (eBay exhaust) Review for the GC8 to GDB series.

User Info Menu

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2002 subie View Post
    I bought this exhaust, and installed it a few days ago, fitment was ok, not too bad, sound was good, but the pipe bends down, and only has about 2 inches of ground clearance. I have already scraped it twice in two days of normal driving, any suggestions on what I should do to improve ground clearance?
    Welcome to the forums what Impreza did you install this on? Are you sure you have the same exhaust? What is the exact part# and brand name of the exhaust, do you have pics?

Yes I am sure it is the same exhaust, on a 2002 Subaru WRX

User Info Menu

That's very weird are you lowered? Do you have pics of the box and also the one from the seller? If I can ask here or by PM who was the seller? Maybe we should be making a list to weed out the good from bad and maybe I got lucky.

One hint is that the seller I used was given permission to use my pics so they will have the jdmvip watermark on it now.

I'm having some very minor issues compared to you but I also have a GC8 WRX but I would think fitment wouldn't be much different between the two.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 03-20-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Sorry guys I haven't updated the video.
    I should update that the sound seems to be getting a little bit deeper and it's just perfect, not too loud but has a nice sound to it.

I also forgot to mention the performance improvements and with my car it's not quite accurate since it's not boosting properly still (suspect a bad turbo).

Now one other unknown is that I believe my cat may have been bad but the car seems to take off a little quicker and stronger.

You can feel the turbo is spooling quicker and an increased throttle response.

On the highway you almost wouldn't know there's any issue with boost, it's much quicker almost like when I first had it and maybe almost stronger. I would not be surprised though in 4th or 5th gear if I hit fuel cut with a properly working turbo.

Here's the weird thing because I read on a lot of forums that my silencer will cost me HP, but all I know is my car is quicker than with the stock exhaust despite that. I wonder if maybe the 3" exhaust still ends up flowing better than stock and that's why?

User Info Menu

The exhaust is good but the rattling is getting annoying so I've finally ordered the Kartboy 15MM hangers. Hopefully that solves it and I've read this is necessary for even brand name exhausts of this size.

User Info Menu

I just wanted to update this. Weeks ago I had 2 Kartboy exhaust hangers installed on the muffler and this has solved all the rattling issues. My only complaint is that I think it drops it a bit too much even to clear my lip (I think most people really only need maybe .5"-.75" of drop). It's also the thickness of the new hangers that helps position it better and makes it impossible for the exhaust to shake.

I just wish I had bought new hangers from the start. Actually I'd say it's a must and don't bother installing this style of exhaust without them.

Other than that I'm really happy, the exhaust looks and sounds great and I think the quality is fairly good too.

User Info Menu

Just fitted this same exhaust and have to say..wow for the money its a good exhaust. The pictures posted showing it not fitting seems to show the center section fitted backwards as the resonator is in the rear part of the center pipe. Very happy with my purchase. Definately notice quite a power increase and power comes on earlier. Max boost increased from 1.14 bar to 1.26 bar.
    1999 STI ver6 Type RA Limited 318/2000
    Powerfc, innovative wideband/boost controller, HSD coilovers, tomei dp, JIC ti exhaust.

User Info Menu

The fitment was bad with both ways of the resonator, that way was slightly better so it took less cutting/welding (but had to move the hangers) so I kept it backwards. I tried it the right way originally... didn't fit like that, switched it, it was a little closer but still horrible. They may have even sent the wrong one, as I don't remember any marking on the box or anything, but it was a long time ago.
    Last edited by tperkins; 04-04-2015 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear you had a horrible time fitting it. Mine was boxed manzo and impressed me very much for the money.
    1999 STI ver6 Type RA Limited 318/2000
    Powerfc, innovative wideband/boost controller, HSD coilovers, tomei dp, JIC ti exhaust.

User Info Menu

Luck of the draw. Still sounded good when I got it together finally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by irishjohn View Post
    Just fitted this same exhaust and have to say..wow for the money its a good exhaust. The pictures posted showing it not fitting seems to show the center section fitted backwards as the resonator is in the rear part of the center pipe. Very happy with my purchase. Definately notice quite a power increase and power comes on earlier. Max boost increased from 1.14 bar to 1.26 bar.
    Congrats, it seems as long as you get a genuine Manzo/M2 you will be fine (the generic auctions don't save you much anyway especially if you have to cut/weld to fit). Which WRX/STi do you have? I have had mine on for about 1 year now and it is great and has not rusted or self-destructed as some on NASIOC have said it would. I really think this is a great exhaust for the money and in all fairness I think being weary of random no-name eBay exhausts is still valid.

Some people here on jdmvip over the years and elsewhere (NASIOC/RS25 etc..) sometimes report "I got the same one and it was bad/didn't fit" but I truly do not believe they got the same one as us. Usually when you ask them for the auction or what was on the box they don't know or it turns out to be some random generic but similar looking unit. For many people they don't even get an exhaust meant for their car. I can see some welds being a bit off sometimes but to the point where people have reported completely cutting/welding and rerouting the piping is not normal for sure.