Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M2 WRX/STi (eBay exhaust) Review for the GC8 to GDB series.

User Info Menu

Default M2 WRX/STi (eBay exhaust) Review for the GC8 to GDB series.

M2/Manzo Exhaust
    Model: TP-CBS-SU01 (Full Exhaust (Turboback) which includes the DP.)
    Piping: 3"
    Muffler tip: 4.5"
    Purchased from: authorized eBay seller

Before you read on and assume all eBay exhausts are OK even if they look similar I wouldn't touch them unless it's a known brand and authorized seller of it (such as M2). Some people swear they've been shipped the wrong model of exhaust or god knows what from some eBay sellers.

Pic of the box (if you didn't get a box like this it's probably not an actual M2 Exhaust):

I'll start with the key things I wanted to know when researching for eBay WRX/STi exhausts in a thread like this.

I wanted quality but couldn't justify thousands on the brand name exhausts for what really does amount to piping. I heard all eBay exhausts are evil and self-destruct and that by considering one I would become evil too (lol exaggerated dramatization from some Subaru forums).

I didn't want something too loud and preferred a silencer to at least keep things a bit quiet.

The Quality:

Time will tell but this is not just flimsy cheap metal, it is apparently T304 though likely a lower grade or something else it's not the kind of "tin" exhaust that you can bend with your hand or you could easily trim. I believe the weight falls in line with the other aftermarket exhausts and this is a good thing (I think it was about 40lbs according to UPS which makes it heavier than some name brands).

The welds, metal and finish are of fairly high quality if you look at the pics. I don't think it looks like a "super cheap eBay exhaust".

The Features:
    One nice thing is that it has 2 ports (one of the top of the DP and one in the middle before the flexpipe). This is obviously handy as you can easily install a wideband and your O2 sensor etc... (some DPs don't have this forcing you to tap your own). They even come with a screw-in cap so you don't have to find your own way to seal them if you're not using them like in my case.

The Fitment:

I've read a few solid reviews on this exhaust and read about a few issues and some of them I didn't have. The overall fitment is OK, definitely no serious bending or welding required as some have complained about with eBay exhausts.

Some say the midpipe hanger doesn't fit, but I guess that's mainly an issue for GDA/GDB WRX/STi as mine fit just fine on GC8B WRX RA.

The downpipe is bigger and the stock turbo heat shield cannot fit, it had to be cut by the shop at the bottom but the heat shield is still tight (they cut it in the best possible way).

The other common fitment issue is the downpipe to transmission bracket and mine is also way off (as in not even close). I believe this causes the exhaust to shake and want to find a way to sort this out, maybe an extension bracket or even lock wire or heat wrap temporary (any suggestions?). I believe part of the shifting and fitment issue is also caused by the flexpipe in the downpipe.

The midpipe near the rear sits too close to the body as within a few mm as well and I think this causes a knock knock sound while decelerating and also at idle for a few seconds when first starting the car. It also knocks while going over bumps too.

The muffler tip barely clears my Chargespeed rear lip (it is within a few mm-update it's now touching it) and I think rattles against it slightly at times. I think I may need to get one of the hangers bent to fix this but at the same time there's not much give or slack. I've seen pics of these on GC8 and GDB with no rear lip and the tip is always too far to the left. I wish they could have just changed the design so it would be a few cm more to the right or make the exhaust tip 4" instead of 4.5".

The Sound:

It's hard to judge 100% as exhausts do break in basically because the insulation/glass packing on the inside breaks down and this alters the sound (apparently all exhausts go through this and are constantly changing in sound even if we can't hear it).

I heard it in the shop without the silencer and it was quite loud and rumbly but not horrible. I had the silencer installed before driving home and at first the exhaust sounded about the same as stock, but by the time I got home there was more rumble and it's slowly getting a bit louder.

Sorry for the bad clip, it was from my phone so the mic is not quite accurate (it sounds rougher at idle than it is and more shrill than it really is).
    http://jdmvip.com/jdmcarpics/jdmvips...tSoundclip.mp4

The Benefits:

It really hit me when I removed the stock exhaust from the trunk that people should consider a new exhaust for weight savings alone especially for people ditching things like aircon to save a few kg. I didn't weigh the old exhaust but it easily felt 2.5x heavier than the M2 Exhaust.

Conclusion:

I paid a bargain basement price for my exhaust and it somehow fit without any welding and other serious issues. It works perfectly, the quality seems great, the sound is even better (my wife thinks it sounds more like the newer models like GDB). I can't justify spending more and I'd recommend this exhaust hands down.

Last edited by jdmvip; 03-20-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: update/typos

User Info Menu

If I missed anything above let me know guys, I hope the review is helpful to people who find it. I searched a lot on the net and different forums and was frustrated with the lack of actual info and reviews. The few I found were broken (dead pic links), no updates and feedback about how people found them except a few.

User Info Menu

Just did a quick update, the exhaust tip now rests on my Chargespeed lip and the midpipe tends to knock against the body a fair bit.

I think the main issue may be that the DP is not secure to the transmission bracket and this allows excess movement and play. The other problem is probably the flexpipe in the DP which may allow a little more play.

I'm still happy with it but would like to find a way to secure and position the exhaust just a little bit more.

User Info Menu

sound clip not working for me

User Info Menu

Sound clip didn't work for me either. Should just do the youtube video and embed it here, so much easier and better.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Hey guys I'll sort that clip later tonight somehow.
    I just noticed it only works on my computer but nowhere else, I think it's the program I used to edit it (it seems like it didn't keep the video header info such as bitrate so things are confused lol).

User Info Menu

I purchased the same exhaust, and the fitment was absolutely atrocious. In order to be able to drive with it on, I had to cut and re-weld every bend, and get new hangers for almost every position. At least you had luck with that!

I have heard the same thing, one person will get one that fits perfectly, while others, like mine don't even seem like its for the right car. Sounded good though!

Last edited by jdmvip; 03-17-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: fixed pic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tperkins View Post
    I purchased the same exhaust, and the fitment was absolutely atrocious. In order to be able to drive with it on, I had to cut and re-weld every bend, and get new hangers for almost every position. At least you had luck with that!

I have heard the same thing, one person will get one that fits perfectly, while others, like mine don't even seem like its for the right car. Sounded good though!

I recall now that you were one of them, there's a thread I relinked to a few months ago where a bunch of members had totally different experiences. I did crazy research before getting this M2 because of the above and fortunately it all worked out.

Did you get an actual M2 exhaust with the box like I did (it had the part# and everything)? If not what was the name brand if there was one?

A lot of the exhausts are totally different even if they look the same.
    Looking at yours it really looks quite different, even the look of the metal and the style of canister .

Were you the guy who even had to weld to clear the rear diff and cross member? If so you that's either horrible manufacturing or I bet the seller sent the wrong part (eg. a generic exhaust or one meant for another vehicle).

User Info Menu

Default M2 exhaust on 2002 wrx

I bought this exhaust, and installed it a few days ago, fitment was ok, not too bad, sound was good, but the pipe bends down, and only has about 2 inches of ground clearance. I have already scraped it twice in two days of normal driving, any suggestions on what I should do to improve ground clearance?

User Info Menu

Speaking of fitment I'm getting tired of the rattling against my rear lip and floorboard, it's getting a bit annoying. A lot of others say they had similar rattling issues and just by getting the longer and stiffer new Kartboy hangers their issues were solved.

I'm probably going to be ordering 3 of these (2 for rear muffler and 1 for the midpipe): http://www.rallysportdirect.com/symb...tandard-Length

The only negative according to my wife is that the sound isn't as loud as stock and she can't hear me coming home. I find it a tad louder while driving but the "deepness" is not as good as the stock exhaust (people can't hear me coming for a few blocks like the stock one).

I took off the silencer a few days ago and it's just way too loud, as in a bit deafening and headache inducing to the point you couldn't talk or hear music. I'm glad I removed it though as the end tip and silencer was covered in some kind of thick dust (possibly fibreglass?). I'm happy with this exhaust but if I did it again I'd probably go with the 3.5" Cobb replica from M2 mainly because I think there'd be no rattling/clearance issues with my rear lip with the tip being 3.5" vs 4.5".

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 subie View Post
    I bought this exhaust, and installed it a few days ago, fitment was ok, not too bad, sound was good, but the pipe bends down, and only has about 2 inches of ground clearance. I have already scraped it twice in two days of normal driving, any suggestions on what I should do to improve ground clearance?
    Welcome to the forums what Impreza did you install this on? Are you sure you have the same exhaust? What is the exact part# and brand name of the exhaust, do you have pics?
    Last edited by jdmvip; 03-20-2014 at 07:38 AM.