Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone help with shipping from Vancouver to Japan?

User Info Menu

Good news is that I don't have to pay consumption taxes. Shipper just confirmed it with me. That makes cash outlay much more bareable.

Its outlined on the Japanese customs pages for "Household Effects (including Automobiles)" (cant link to it yet)

You need to fill out 2 copies of the Form C 5360 that they give you when you fly in to Japan. Luckily I had read to do that, and did so when we last entered Japan. You give both to the customs agent and they sign/stamp them and give you one back and you keep it for when you pick up your cargo.

Then 3 copies of the “Application Duty Exemption on Household Effect, Removed on Account of Removal of Residence such as Automobiles, etc.”

The other paperwork that is needed for the customs clearance is:
    - Title copy
    - Copy of car insurance
    - Purchase receipt
    - A document from you indicating you are importing as your personal vehicle and will not sell within 2 years.
    - Completed Customs Declaration form ~ one that was stamped by customs officer. Original only
    - Import must be within 6 months of arrival.
    - Airline itinerary from Canada to Japan
    - Passport copies/scans/digital picts of ~ Photo page, Japan visa page, Immigration departure stamp (Canada), and Immigration arrival stamp (Japan) which corresponds to airline itinerary dates.

Considering I was looking at around $4500 plus an 8% tax on the value of the car a few days ago I feel pretty good about the ~$2500 and no tax.

Anyone want to make insurance recommendations? The basic marine insurance for RORO only covers total loss, not scratches and dents. The paint on my car is not perfect but the body is straight, so while I probably wouldn't notice a small door ding showing up, Id hate to have no protection if another car slid into mine during the voyage, even if that is very unlikely. I've also heard people having the stereo and other parts stolen out the car. Are these pretty rare occurrences? My stereo is old and doesnt work anyway, but Im curious if its pretty uncommon or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dprime View Post

Anyone want to make insurance recommendations? The basic marine insurance for RORO only covers total loss, not scratches and dents. The paint on my car is not perfect but the body is straight, so while I probably wouldn't notice a small door ding showing up, Id hate to have no protection if another car slid into mine during the voyage, even if that is very unlikely. I've also heard people having the stereo and other parts stolen out the car. Are these pretty rare occurrences? My stereo is old and doesnt work anyway, but Im curious if its pretty uncommon or not.
    There is no insurance I am aware of for RO-RO. There is comprehensive insurance for goods inside a container.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya