Thread: Sr20det HELP!

User Info Menu

Default Sr20det HELP!

So I have a 92 240sx with redtop sr20det, I did an oil change about 600kms ago with 10w30 royal purple. Driving home few weeks ago from edmonton to east of reddeer. Highway was fine came to first stop sign about 80kms after driving highway and when i took off it started smoking from everywhere through defrost vents, foot area, exhaust etc.. Pulled over and looked under the hood nothing was hot or stood out nor did the engine overheat. The blow by hose coming off the pcv would blow lots of smoke while i revved it up though. So i was able to limp it home about 100kms only driving at about 80km hr though. In that 100kms i used 1.5 liters of oil as it was burning off. Just did compression test today and it was my first compression test ive ever done think i did it right lol So i unplugged and pulled all coil packs, and spark plugs. And went ahead and did my compression test compression read 140-135-140-0 That was a cold compression test not hot. So with one cylinder reading 0 what would you assume it to be.. Even when i limped it home there was no power loss.
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear, I'm assuming you have a burnt valve from the 0 compression .
    Maybe it's just stuck if you're lucky, I recommend using some proper synthetic in it.

Were you driving just fine before the RP and what weight and brand were you using? RP is known to burn and thin out especially on a lot of Subaru's so the consumption issue may be partially a fault of the oil. I also believe RP is not truly synthetic unless you got their racing line.

If Royal Purple street products are not 100% synthetic, why are they priced similar to a full synthetic?
    The Synerlec technology provides the best protection and performance increases available, however, it is very expensive. We have blended our street oils to exceed the performance characteristics of any other blended or "Full" synthetic. If having a full synthetic is important, we have our racing line which can be considered a "Full" synthetic.

User Info Menu

I've always just ordered 10w30 royal purple full synthetic so I hope and assumed that's what they give me. I've heard from a lot of people that its the rings so if it is valve seals that's way better scenario for me
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Do you mean that you've used the RP before in that engine?
    Unless it's the racing line it's not, they can legally say "synthetic" even if it's not fully.

I guess it could be the rings too, hopefully it's not as bad as we think.
    With that kind of consumption it would make sense.

User Info Menu

And no I haven't really bagged on the car much at all since I tool owner ship either. Which is why this bothered me.
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that, you said it's a 240SX so who knows the mileage and condition of the SR240DET that was swapped in . Unless you can do the work yourself or somehow get it done cheap it may be easier and cheaper to get another SR20DET.

User Info Menu

Did the seller or you check compression before and did you check when you first got the car? It may be that the car was sold because there was very low compression in that one cylinder or could just be bad luck.