Thread: new aristo owner needs help

User Info Menu

Default new aristo owner needs help

Hi everyone,
    am new here and wanted to say what a great site and that I also have a 93 artisto with the r154 conversion, big single, stand alone, running 15 psi and 390hp at 17psi.I purchased this car a week ago as is (after years of research and dreaming)
    There are a few issues with the previous owners hacking away at certain bits(Like the rear brake lines being disconnected! And replaced by a tacky hyd handbrake)
    But I got it for a decent price.*
    Anyway I have loads of questions for everyone here but the 1st is what do I do for a handbrake? I need to pass an inspection to get it registered in this state of Aus.
    The original foot type handbrake is gone, probably because of the clutch, so I am open for all suggestions.*Maybe the Brake was higher up, just below the dash on the left. Either way is hard to tell because it's missing!!! Just like the side mirror switch.

Thanks again for your great community and all your advice is appreciated, and needed to get my other half of off my back about why my new car is not registered yet!!

User Info Menu

You could use any hand brake that fits, but I think one of the ones that looks the best for the MK1 Aristo is from the Soarer. That's what I had in my old car.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info.
    I was thinking about using a soarer center console that has the handbrake in the normal location.
    I am also needing to raplace the side mirror adjustment switch (which is also missing! ).
    Hard to get parts over here as the aristo is an import only.
    Any advice for a direct contact for parts would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

There were a couple of parts cars in Alberta a while back.

I think BrandonG mentioned before he knows of someone (a shop I think) that has a parts car. i think the car has been heavily pillaged, but maybe they still have the switch part you are looking for. Just need Brandon to chime in.

User Info Menu

Did you ever get this all sorted out? One of our member's who has RyanV's old 5-speed swap 147 may have some advice for you too.

User Info Menu

Sorry its been so long, am a disorganized prick.
    Having troubles uploading photos on my phone but have lots and of pics of everything I've done.
    I ended up getting a console and park brake mechanism from a soarer and mated it with the aristo console around the gearstick. A crude job but will look ok with a re trim.

Had a lot of trouble getting a blue slip, had a mechanic tell me I needed an engineers cert, emissions test and drive by exhaust noise test. But have another who is prepared to pass it once I build a box around the pod filter and plumb the screamer from the external wastegate back into the downpipe! ( think I was kidding myself there).
    So I am on my way, just need the time to touch the bloody thing. Working full time, looking after kids and family, renovating our house etc spare time is hard to come by.
    Anyway thankyou all for your interest and I will get some pics up soon. Please let me know what you all think.
    Thanks again. Mick

User Info Menu

Well.
    6 months and only beginning to get close.
    Just managed to get the wastegate flowing info the dp this weekend!
    Next step is removing the abs light from the dash and replacing other globes so I can see the speedo!
    What I need is a bit of a guide on how to remove the dash without breaking the 20 something year old parts!
    Any advice, as always, is appreciated.
    Thanks again
    Mick

User Info Menu

http://clubaristo.net/forums/archive...p/t-26358.html
    Really good list of DIY write ups for the jzs147. It has dash removal in there I've never done it so I any really help.

User Info Menu

Nice Mick, any new pics? You guys really make me miss our old 147 (we would never have willingly parted with it either ).

+1 Steve, clubaristo and some Australian forum have a good amount of info. We try to do what we can here as well though with the help of anyone who can share.