Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitch's 99 Forester S/tb Type A

User Info Menu

Were you planning to come to Halifax this weekend for that JDM meet?
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Didn't even know about that one but probably not. It's a 4 hours drive back to halifax for me and I just can't justify almost two tanks of gas to go to a meet. The next time I'm down in dartmouth with the forester I'll be sure to let you know so you can check out the car if you want. The only thing I miss so far from the old car is cruise control. Long drives kind of suck without it.

Because it's just not an STI without a slightly ridiculous wing on the back

User Info Menu

Yeah that's a bit of a drive for sure. There is a convo of cars coming from New Brunswick so figured you may have been in on it.

Haha yeah the only JDM car I've seen that has cruise control was my buddies old 92 MR2, but it didn't work above 110km/h. I'd still take that!

User Info Menu

I didn't know there was a meet either lol.
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone

User Info Menu

Oh weird. Its just some facebook group that decided to have one.

https://www.facebook.com/events/929304443765949/

User Info Menu

I don't think I'd go to a meet where the address is just at some guys house when I don't know either him or anyone going, lol.

Anyway, on to the latest news. I was going to my first meet last night to show off the new forester to the locals and what do you know, my rad starts leaking. So far it's just a slow leak, enough to sprinkle green in my engine bay, but I've parked it for now until I can get a new rad in it's place.
    Wheel bearings are next as the old forester design for those were somewhat lacking and they die all on their own around 100k. I'm planning on replacing both because if ones going then the second one can't be far behind. Final step after that is see if I have a boost leak or a dying turbo. Under boost there has been a whining noise since I picked it up and if I stay on boost long enough I get a CEL that goes away when I'm off boost.

My work is never done, and my wallet sure is getting tired.

User Info Menu

Haha I think the meet will progress to somewhere else and that maybe just the meetup spot... idk lol. I'll stop in anyways as its only like 15 minutes from where I live.

Ouch, going with another stock radiator? Also, you check to see what the cel code is?

User Info Menu

I am going with a stock rad as I was lucky enough to find one being sold on kijiji by a kind german fellow for a good enough deal. It's not exactly the same as mine is as it's for an automatic and it's got a cap with a vent on the rad. However the automatic transmission cooler is optional to hook up as it's a closed system within the bottom of the rad and therefore won't leak out when open. Also the vented cap can just be spliced together with a "T" piece to go to the tank line as that's where it went anyway. I'll be using some of the old hose to get the extra bit of line that I'll need to get it to work and the "T" is easy enough to find.

Next problem I ran into is something that troubles me a little bit.
    I went to change the oil on the car when I had it up in the air working on the rad. Drained the old oil just fine and then went to change the filter... It wouldn't budge. I snapped one of my old strap wrenches and bent the filter when I tried a oil filter wrench so now that doesn't work either.

The reason this troubles me is that I now don't know when the last time the filter was changed. I will not give up until it's off, but did others before me? How long has it been on there?

I will post eventually to say it's all working and everything's good and well I swear.

User Info Menu

In the past I have hammered a flat blade through the filter to get it off, but yeah it's a little scary to think when the last time it was changed might have been. Wouldn't worry about it.

User Info Menu

Geez your certainly having bad luck with this one.
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone