Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Colby's Evo VI

User Info Menu

Well I wanted an AWD sedan, with a turbocharger, and of course it had to be manual.
    In the past few years I'd been really interested in getting a Subaru STI, but obviously 30+ thousand was too much for me right outta school. So one of my friends brought JDM vehicles to my attention. Well i started looking into them and basically a year or so later I had it wittled down to either An Evo or an STI.
    They're both exceptional cars built for rally purposes, and can handle NWT winters (hence the need for AWD).

So when it came time that I was financially able to pull the trigger, it essentially came down to aesthetics. I significantly preferred the look of the earlier Evo's over the early model Subaru's. So it came down to either the 4, 5, or 6. The 4 was nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the spoiler on them, very similar to the GC8 spoilers. So that one was cut out.

So I looked at the 5's, and I absolutely LOVED the wider body look of the 5's and 6's along with the split vent hoods. I noticed a sliiiigght difference in the shape of the spoilers from the 5 to the 6, and i preferred the 6, along with the smaller fogs. Although I have no problem with the large fogs either. So I was looking for either a quality 5, or a quality 6; whichever came first..

Lo-and-behold, this beautiful 6 ended up being one of three that I bid on, but the first one i won by hitting the reserve price. That's it!

User Info Menu

Nice story behind it so you're a real enthusiast and that's what we like around here.

I personally think the 4,5,6 were the best EVO's although people should appreciate how advanced the 1 was.

User Info Menu

Oh definitely. The 1 was well ahead of its time.

User Info Menu

It's success paved the path for the others I say .
    Even though I'm an Impreza fan I have to say the EVO series has "evolved" a lot more. There weren't nearly as many changes or improvements compared to EVO so it definitely is named properly!

User Info Menu

Alright, so today I was sent ~35 pictures of the car exterior, interior, underbody, and noticeable blemishes. Obviously I'm not putting them all up, but here's a couple handfuls.

Definitely going to replace that Rusty OEM heat shield. It's a shame how bad it actually looks.

Looks to be sitting on HKS coil overs..

And of course, as with most 15+ year old vehicles, there are probably some blemishes..
    Hopefully the touch up paint I ordered will be able to make it look a tad more presentable than it already is.

Definitely going to have to repaint those callipers.

This is the only rust on the vehicle, looks to be on the gas tank protector plate.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the vehicle. Feel free to make any comment on it; negative, constructive, and/or opinions! I wanna know what ya think, this being my first JDM vehicle and all.

User Info Menu

It looks fairly mint. I think of paint defects in terms of how many panels have issues
    The vents are easy to repaint and so is the front bumper and a touchup may be worth a shot. Otherwise the paint is nice and give it a clay, cut and seal when it gets here.

A rusty heat shield is normal for most EVOs. The same thing with rust on the gas protector plate or whatever it is.

User Info Menu

Yeah I'm extremely satisfied. I expected nicks and whatnot, but there's really no obvious body blemishes besides around the bottom of the front/side skirt on one side. Oh except of course the rear quarter panel right behind the wheel, that one kinda sucks...
    Yup I knew the heat shields were prone to rust haha i just never expected it to be that rusty, I haven't seen one that rusty before.

I just noticed this tie rod looks a little bit oxidized so I'll probably be replacing those as well.

User Info Menu

That's not a rusty heatshield
    Mine was like a piece of paper it was so rusty!

Paint peel on your hood intake vent is normal. Front lip/spoiler you should be able to get repainted easy enough.

Awesome car, congrats!

User Info Menu

Overall that doesn't look bad. All of that is fixable.

User Info Menu

Good looking car buddy. Blue is definitely my favorite colour on a car. As mentioned, the few blemishes you have are standard on these cars when imported. A good clay, polish and wax will make the paint look brand new and painting the calipers as well.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. A lot of us on here have gone through the initial maintenance and inspection phase with these Evo's.

Congrats!
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V (Silver) - Sold
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V (White)
    2009 Triumph Street Triple R (Matte Orange)
    2004 Subaru Forester 2.5X