Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Colby's Evo VI

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tperkins View Post
    On the plus side it looks very clean under your valve cover.
    Yeah I inspected the cam lobes and rockers, no scoring or abnormal wear patterns on them which is nice.
    Not super surprising though considering the car has <75,000km.

User Info Menu

I got off shift this morning, and went straight to my clutch.
    Pulled the tranny off by myself, (I don't recommend that, have another person around, or a tranny jack...) and pulled off the old clutch/flywheel.
    Here's what was there:
    Some hot spots on the flywheel/pressure plate, and some friction material separation on the clutch disk as well as what looks like minor glazing on the outer perimeter. All in all looked like there was a fair amount of material left on the clutch disk, although the pressure plate and flywheel had some definite "imperfections" on the hot spots. Probably my fault. Not gonna lie.

Put the new exedy flywheel and clutch in (realized as I put it in that it's not the stage one, just the "Pro-Kit")

Then got to work on putting it all together! Had two friends help me put the tranny back up onto the block, took a fair amount of time but we got it with a floor jack on the engine and one under the tranny.

Not finished yet, still have to put the transfer box and axles/exhaust back in, but the hardest bits are behind me. Just needed a break until tomorrow. I came off nightshift after all aha

User Info Menu

What part number is on the clutch?

My stage 1 clutch kit says: 05803
    Flywheel says: mf04

User Info Menu

Clutch: MBK1001 aka "Pro-kit". Exedy's version of OEM replacement.
    Flywheel: MF04 same as yours.

User Info Menu

Finished my clutch job last night, car drives solid and the ss clutch line has definitely made a difference. Now just to get past the break in period.

Also, after switching the lifters out my car now makes zero ticking on startup. When I pulled the old lifters out, I noticed they had already been replaced with the OEM revised lifters with the 3mm opening, however, I noticed the ones I put in have a longer head travel than the ones I pulled out. Seems to have made all the difference, since none of the ones I pulled out were bad, maybe just dirty. Oh well.

User Info Menu

Its such a great feeling to get everything back together and it happens to work well after that much work eh. Yeah the break in is difficult. I felt like I was cheating my engine. I just hit 550km on my new clutch, after this weekend it'll be considered broken in.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Yep it's super relieving too, being the first clutch I've ever done on my own.
    Also an awesome feeling to hear no lifter tick on startup.

Speaking of which, my old lifters have been soaking in diesel fuel for a few days now, and they've since "relieved" themselves of quite a bit of particulates, in addition to one smaller piece of RTV sealant. Not too surprising considering this is what the head looked like when I took the cover off. Some asshole used way too much sealant in places they didn't need too. Probably re-used the gasket and didn't trust it. Lazy bastards.

So looks like dirty lifters was my problem. Oh well, now I've got a spare set if the ones I put in ever tank.