Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF5 S/TB vs SF5 STI?

User Info Menu

Default SF5 S/TB vs SF5 STI?

I've been searching around the internet and trying to figure out what the difference between the SF5 s/tb and the SF5 sti are. From my understanding the Foresters started coming out in sti in 2000 or 2001. Almost seems just cosmetic stuff maybe with some handling. I noticed the sti seat pattern as shown in one of the pictures below.

That one is currently up for auction, is a 2001 STI II Type M.

Also this link from sti japan.
    http://www.sti.jp/typeM/main.html

If someone has more solid information share.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Yesss.... indeeeed. Forester STi was released from factory May 2000. All of the first versions are automatic I'm pretty sure. The "Type M" is fancy japanese meaning it is Manual. These were released December 2000. They have fancy STi interior as you've noticed... as for performance parts Im really not too sure. It has the same power figures as the s/tb but it could have short shifter, sti steering rack for quicker ratio or whatever that means... it may also have larger sway bars or tighter suspension. I've asked this question before but never got any answer here subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/jdm-forester-s-tb-stii-ii-288537/

I read from auction site sheets that STi 2 type M is sometimes refered to STiIII or stiIII type M. not sure what thats about.

From that JDM info sheet you linked, it may have better front brakes.

17" factory wheels, up from 16". factory tinted windows.
    Last edited by Mollifier666; 10-01-2014 at 08:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I wasn't able to link... add www to that address

User Info Menu

This is all theory, I can let you know for sure in a couple years though

User Info Menu

Oh they were automatics! Lame. Thenews newest manual sti forester I could find in the auction house sold was 10th month 2001... That's way to long to wait. And yeah they do seem to be listed as the same power figures.

User Info Menu

I'm with Mollifier on this one. Any differences in the early forester STI's were mostly cosmetic. The power was the same as the S t/b and seeing as it has the same engine that's not surprising. The turbo is the same as the early wrx wagons too, just a little FYI.

My type A has a deathly slow steering rack and soft as a fluffy pillow air ride suspension so it's not much of a performance vehicle. It's more of the luxury verison of the forester than the performance version.
    As far as any performance upgrades, I don't believe that there are any real differences either. The research I've done shows that on the type IIM there might be 4 pot fronts, those wheels could be factory and the suspension might be a touch stiffer. The big question though is do you plan on changing any parts out or upgrading the forester if you decide to get one. Because if you do, the differences between having a forester STI and a regular S t/b will all be removed or changed. Such as shifter and suspension. From what I can tell from the pictures the seats look the same as mine which are alright i guess but no good for a performance car.
    Here's one of the pictures from the Type IIM catelog to add to your comfusion if you weren't already beyond that point.

Either way, it's still not legal yet so if you're waiting for an STI forester you have a while to go yet.

Last edited by millhouse_5; 10-02-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Because it's just not an STI without a slightly ridiculous wing on the back

User Info Menu

Yeah I knew it just had the same td04 turbo as the wrx wagons, simple to upgrade if needed.

Seems if I did import one it would be the sti II for sure, the upgrades seem worth the extra bit it would cost. But that's two years away. I imagine I'd find a Forester XT by then, which imo has the better motor and potential.

User Info Menu

more differences than cosmetic .

interior - cosmetic sti seats/red stitching/STI cluster gauge
    exterior body - cosmetic body lower/rear wing larger
    front brakes - 4 piston upgrade
    ecu/turbo mgmt - 15HP more over stock STB after dyno pull (correction 15 gain via ECU)
    wheels - lightweight gold BBS made for Subaru
    suspension - strut/spring lowered - better compression rate = stiffer
    Last edited by jesse75; 09-23-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: value change

User Info Menu

Starting to see some sti forester's around town. But they are all autotragic! Any idea how much they go for in auction for a manual?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lc21 View Post
    Starting to see some sti forester's around town. But they are all autotragic! Any idea how much they go for in auction for a manual?
    The 5 speed STi's are not legal until fall. They are usually 2-4K more expensive than an auto and very limited numbers of them manufactured in 2001-2002