Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Comox B.C. JDM Insurance

User Info Menu

Default Moving to Comox B.C. JDM Insurance

Hey, I own a 1999 Mitsubishi Evolution VI and am moving from Winnipeg to Comox B.C. Just curious how hard it is to safety and register this beast there? Will they accept a Manitoba safety? How much approx am I looking at for insurance per month or per year? Any other tips would be awesome! Thanks!

-Stephan
    1990 Celica All Trac- Sold
    1999 Mitsubishi Evolution VI GSR

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer with the back. Horsepower is how fast you hit it and torque is how far you take the wall"

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

User Info Menu

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...f%2520province

seems like you do need to get another oopi.

User Info Menu

Yes, you will need an inspection here in BC. I suggest you schedule something with a shop on Vancouver on your way through. Shops on Vancouver Island might not want to look at JDMs. You could try contacting Tyee and se who they use for their inspections.

For insurance....I'm not 100% sure how it transfers, but you'll probably need to prove you have a good record to get maximum discount. If you can get maximum discount, I'd guess your insurance will be $1100, but that's just a guess. Best thing to do would be to call an autoplan broker. They should be able to give you an estimate as well as let you know what you need to provide to get a discount on your insurance.

User Info Menu

Ok thanks guys! Not sure if I'll be able to stop in Vancouver for a safety on the way through but I'm sure someone on the island will inspect a JDM. I have a very good driving record so hopefully I can get the maximum discount and save some $$$$.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer with the back. Horsepower is how fast you hit it and torque is how far you take the wall"

User Info Menu

They're a huge difference between oopi shops over here while you might convince a shop to look at your car finding one that will be fair and not find extra things is hard. The only oopi shop where I live (Sunshine Coast so very close) will fail you for coilovers or any other non oem suspension piece or even an aftermarket exhaust. You might get lucky and find a good place on the island but it's probably a good idea to try to find a jdm friendly place on the mainland. It is over 400 bucks every time you get a car inspected and that can add up quickly.
    Last edited by steveo1115; 12-09-2014 at 11:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steveo1115 View Post
    It is over 400 bucks every time you get a car inspected and that can add up quickly.
    WTF?!!??! Where are you getting your car inspected? I've never paid more than $200 (plus tax).

User Info Menu

It's that small town tax. It's the only place you can go here to get a oopi it's pay the 400 bucks or trailer you car across bc ferries. It's huge $$ any way you choose it's why I get stressed every time I go through a roadblock. Thankfully I know all the local police now because of my job and I only had to go down that crappy route once.

User Info Menu

I talked to Tyee imports in Courtenay/Comox and they gave me contact info for a JDM friendly garage that will do safeties. Hopefully they're fair, the vehicle was safetied in Manitoba so maybe that will help too.

User Info Menu

It should. Seems like things are pretty strict for you over there.

User Info Menu

If you need a shop in Vancouver, PM me and I'll forward you the info.

Just make sure your headlights are DOT approved and that you have DRLs installed.

Aside from that, I just renewed my insurance with ICBC, 43% discount due to 10+ yrs of accident-free driving, and my rate is at $1770/year. Not sure whether that's great or not, I just know it's lower than what my co-workers pay to drive their civics and fiats.

Ps - if you want to do a impromptu car meet/hill-climb-drive on Mt Washington, msg me and I'll let you know the next time I'm out there to visit my parents (sometime in early Jan). I've been dying to take a leisurely drive up there, but there was some torrential rainfall the last time I visited.
    Last edited by Jeebus; 12-18-2014 at 05:11 AM.