Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: jdmvip's updated guide for RO/RO customs clearance & WWL

User Info Menu

Soil Exam has to be done.. first.. everything has to be done before you can pick it up from WWL..

WWL will send you the Cargo manifest, confirming the car has arrived, however they wont let you take it until, Soil Exam, Customs, Steamship released are all done..

If you have faxed your correctly filled out soil exam form in, then you just have to wait till all the cars are unloaded and examined.. this takes a could days, and doesnt happen on weekends..

User Info Menu

Thanks Dah hunter! So to make a short trip out of going to New wes and customs, could I just make my appt w/customs on the day/s that wwl says its available for pickup?

User Info Menu

WWL requires you to wait 24 hours from customs release before pickup..

so you cant pick it up the same day you do customs.

User Info Menu

So when do they start charging you for storage and/or when does the available for pickup day start, after youve cleared it thru customs? or after soil exam? Since I am coming from far away, what day would be the best day to be in bc and how long will I have to stay until I can get car in my posession? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Storage is $25 per day and starts on the 4th working day after the car was available for pickup. Car is Available for pickup whenever they say it is.. However its up to you to get it customs released and the Soil done, cause you cant get it with those..

Call WWL the recorded message for used cars should tell you when cars from your boat are ready for pick up.. you got 4 days from then.. and they arent open weekends.. (Nor is customs)

User Info Menu

IMO...you are better off getting someone else to do the work if you are out of town. I'm local, and I don't do my own paperwork anymore (not that I'm bringing anything in, but I've decided not to do the work myself for any future imports). It's not that it's difficult, it's just that it's a PITA.

If you have all the paper work done and faxed into WWL, (assuming you can have the customs release done out of town) you can pick up your car the day you come to town.

User Info Menu

I cant use a customs broker because I am a non resident/visitor, thats what the supervisor at cbsa told me on the phone anyways, so Ill have to do it on my own. Im coming from 1500 miles away to stay in cloverdale for a while. The only brite side is that as a visitor I do not have to comply with cmvss, and can import any year vehicle, but can only get plates for a year tops. I still have to pass oop tho. Then I have to export it/take it home with me to the states, It will be worth it I think as our stupid 25 yr law is terrible and our country is greedy, its all about the mighty dollar here, our laws are lame in the aspect of importing, people drive dune buggys on the streets here but a jdm rhd car is "non compliant", ?? How long ahead of time should you call to make an appt. with cbsa? Also, do wwl and cbsa accept us dollar or should I go to Montreal bank and get cad?
    Last edited by joeyfmx; 08-25-2010 at 12:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Customs will take USD im sure.. but not WWL..

if your staying in Canad for awhile i would get CAD..

User Info Menu

Yea planned on getting quite a bit of cad, not sure if canada accepts american credit/debit cards or checks either, so Im not sure how Im gonna pay the request for release/soil exam by fax. Thanks again da hunter for all your helpful info!

User Info Menu

Canada accepts all Mastorcards/visas pretty much..

Debit cards i would assume will work as well. checks no one uses.. so i doubt that.

I live right near cloverdale. so if you want to meet up when you here. or need some other help let me know.