Thread: Crown Majesta or a Toyota Celsior?

User Info Menu

Default Crown Majesta or a Toyota Celsior?

JDMVIP's been talking to me about getting another import these days. He's showed me pictures of a Crown Majesta and a Toyota Celsior, but unlike the past cars, I'm really nervous since our last experience.

He knows a few things about each of these cars, but does anyone own these cars? Do you like them? How does it drive? I didn't end up liking the Legacy we imported, I found it hard to drive I'm not sure why- and the biggest issue it was uncomfortable to be pregnant in that car and then breastfeeding in the back was a freaking nightmare!

Areeb says the Toyota Celsior is about the same size as the Aristo, but is the back seats as roomy, etc.

One of the things I hate about the Aristo but loved about the Legacy was that the hood wasn't like tall so I didn't have to use a cushion to drive to see the road...does that make sense???? :S

So basically anything anyone knows about these cars please share! If you can consider a woman with kids

Thank you!

User Info Menu

My opinion on this having ridden in both cars (I haven't driven either) is that the difference in my mind is that the Crown is the more generic people carrier of the two. The Crown would also be the less sporty of the two. Most of the taxis in Japan are crowns or similar models.... they are like an intermediate luxury car.

The Celsior, at least the older ones, are very reliable but more sporty in my opinion. Not as nice of a ride though, I think the Crown has more of an older Cadillac feel.

User Info Menu

I don't have experience with either, but doesn't the Celsior have air bag suspension that is prone to leaking? Or is that just earlier versions?

User Info Menu

celsiors do all have a factory air suspension its cheaper to put in coilovers than to replace the air suspension. its the one thing thats unreliable about the LS400/Celsior. did anyone watch the regular car review of Matt Farahs million mile ls400
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN9Rh1tn88
    the 1uzfe is a great almost bullet proof engine. I've been looking at a couple ucf10 Celsior's that are for sale locally and man do I want to go test drive one.

User Info Menu

The Celsoir was available with normal (spring & shock) and air bag (spring & air bag).

The Soarer V8 models were also the same, available in either.

10-15 years ago the air bag suspension models were super popular because you could buy and install an aftermarket ride height controller and set the ride height at any level you wanted at a push of a button.

But today, I am not sure if I would want an air bag suspension model as the air bags are becoming old and like any rubber will perish over time. Some have attempted to repair the rubber bag but it is never successful. To buy new is like buying a small island, you can always buy used in the hope they will last. The last resort is to remove the air bag and replace with normal suspension/coilovers.

Celsoir - 1989 - 2004 - Non Air-Bag Model.
    UCF10
    UCF20
    UCF30

Celsoir - 1989 - 2004 - Air Bag Model.
    UCF11
    UCF21
    UCF31

As for the Crown, they also come with or without air suspension, I do not have time to list which ones do and do not, I will save that for another day.

Cheers

MB.

User Info Menu

I vote for the Crown. I've always loved the big body style of them.
    1999 Toyota Altezza RS200 Z
    1996 Toyota Tacoma, 2wd, 5 speed, 4cyl

User Info Menu

Hey guys good info and insight from everyone.
    I've been having a hell of time finding the following info:

The difference between interior features on UCF30,31 and the A,B,C packages.
    How do these cars handle (UCF30 vs 31 with the airbag suspension)? I like the idea of stock height adjustment but if we have any issues I will probably have TEIN CS's fitted from the start or shipped with the car (they have been amazing on Aristo).

The main thing I want to know is which models had the massaging seats (were these standard in any version or always an option?). How about the reclining rear seats?

I love the 1UZ but the 3UZ sounds like even more fun with the crazy torque it makes.

User Info Menu

Air suspension sounds like it's a problem then... Massaging seats sounds like a huge plus though >_<

Any other car reccomendations? I guess it doesn't have to be a Toyota, but I guess it's probably the most car for the money?

Argh feel like flying down to Japan and just car shopping LOL

User Info Menu

I got a ucf10 ls400 a little bit ago. It's a really nice car, I can't really drive it yet though. Mine has the heated seats and they were so nice on the drive back, my dog didn't even want to get out of the car.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Hey guys good info and insight from everyone.
    I've been having a hell of time finding the following info:

The difference between interior features on UCF30,31 and the A,B,C packages.
    How do these cars handle (UCF30 vs 31 with the airbag suspension)? I like the idea of stock height adjustment but if we have any issues I will probably have TEIN CS's fitted from the start or shipped with the car (they have been amazing on Aristo).

The main thing I want to know is which models had the massaging seats (were these standard in any version or always an option?). How about the reclining rear seats?

I love the 1UZ but the 3UZ sounds like even more fun with the crazy torque it makes.
    I like looking through all the differences in trim levels on this website
    http://specs.cars-directory.net/
    http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/toyota/

I believe for the celcior only the older ucf11 type C F package had the massaging rear seat.
    Someone let me know if there are other cars with this.
    http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/...r/1992_8/5826/
    Last edited by Sunshine; 07-03-2015 at 07:45 PM.