Thread: Buying a car that is 14.9 years old now, but will be 15 upon arrival.

User Info Menu

Default Buying a car that is 14.9 years old now, but will be 15 upon arrival.

Has anyone purchased a car that will be legal once it actually arrives to your port?
    For example, im in Canada, we have the 15 year rule on importing cars.

I am looking at one, manufacture date April 12th 2000. Does anyone see a problem with buying it and then having problems? Shipping is 6-10 weeks usually.
    If im not mistaken as long as its 15 years old upon enterting the dock your fine correct?

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Yes

10 char.

User Info Menu

It depends on who you are using to import. Some shippers won't let it on the boat unless it's 15 years old, some won't let it off. Just call your shipper and see what their rules are. I know if you order through william he will hold a car for a little while until it's legal to import just in case it's a few months too new.

Because it's just not an STI without a slightly ridiculous wing on the back

User Info Menu

Really? I've never heard that. What would the shipping company care about how old the car is? It's not like CBSA is standing at the docks making sure every car that comes off the boat is allowed to enter the country.

I'd say it's more likely to vary with the exporter/importer.

User Info Menu

Importing the car myself, most likely using Al for paperwork, and using Autospecs for export.
    I remember reading a few threads xmonths ago about people doing this, but cant find them now.

Off CBSA website / nice to know the "day" does not matter.

Determination of Vehicle Age

9. For the purposes of tariff item No. 9897.00.00, the age of a motor vehicle is determined by the month and year during which work was completed on the vehicle at the place of main assembly. For example, a vehicle manufactured in May 1983 would be considered to be 15 years old on May 1, 1998.

10. The "model year" of vehicles is not a sufficient factor in determining the age of imported used or second-hand vehicles. For example, a "1983" vehicle manufactured in June 1983 would not be admissible until June 1, 1998, and a "1984" vehicle manufactured in September 1983 would not be admissible until September 1, 1998.
    Last edited by maksimizer; 03-04-2015 at 11:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks maksimizer,
    Good to know facts!

But how do you determine official manufacturing month?
    All exporters I had worked so far with are not willing to contact manufacturers to get official letter from them.
    Thus manufacturing date is substituted by registration date. And it can be over a year later.
    Any tricks I am not aware of?

User Info Menu

Im exactly in this situation. However, my export certificate stated that my first registration date is 2000/04, but my car's production date is 2000/03.....and the car is arriving on this month 15th.

Will have to pay storage fee. $50 a day until April.

User Info Menu

Imho your timing is not so bad. I think you have 10 business days storage for free. As far ss i know many exporters can store car in port in Japan for 2 months for free with ~100Yen per day after.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlBu View Post
    Imho your timing is not so bad. I think you have 10 business days storage for free. As far ss i know many exporters can store car in port in Japan for 2 months for free with ~100Yen per day after.
    Its 30 days free and more than 100 yen/day after that. The Yokohama freight forwarder we use charges 400yen/day.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya