Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blown Motor I'm Pretty Sure

User Info Menu

Default Blown Motor I'm Pretty Sure

Well the motor finally went I'm pretty sure. Terrible idle, vacumm in boucing around like it lost compression too. Hunts for idle like crazy. Also lots of gases from the oil filler.. rebuild time it seems

User Info Menu

Time after time after time people find that it is cheaper to just source a used motor than rebuild. Sorry for your luck! Have you tried a compression test? What sorts of gases from the oil filler?

User Info Menu

Well hang on, does the engine make terrible sounds? Ungodly sounds? Sounds properly functioning mechanical things should never make? As in clanking, tapping, hard knocking, screeching etc etc?
    '98 USDM 2.5GT BD5 EJ25D - Subaru heaven
    '98 JDM RS-B BD5 EJ20R - Current beast

User Info Menu

Nope no knocking or anything like that. Just has a very hard time running and like I said the exaust gasses out the filler cap isn't good I'm getting a compression test tomorrow though to be 100% sure.

User Info Menu

What does the coolant look like? Did you do a leak down test?

User Info Menu

Coolant looks good as far as I can tell, and that along with a compression test will be done tomorrow when I can get it to a shop

User Info Menu

I had a similar issue with a car I had. It sounded horrible, gasses were coming out the oil filler, and it had no compression in one cylinder. I just found out like a month ago when someone finally pulled the head that I just had a lot of carbon on a valve and it wasn't sealing fully. A can of sea foam would have probably fixed it but I thought the engine was gone and sold the car.
    Have hope it could just be something simple.

User Info Menu

Bump Geoff were you able to sort this out how did the compression turn out? If you're not getting knocking I'd at least think the bearings have not gone which are the most common failure point on a Subaru.

User Info Menu

Hey, no new news as of yet. Been very busy but I plan to look into it next week.
    Worse case scenario, plans right now are to go through a engine builder that used to own the car before my self did. Forged pistons, along with Rods and Bearings per his recommendation. Maybe a rob 550 tune as well, or go the ESL daughterboard route and get a custom tune.

Because the stock JECS MAF tops out around 20psi I was thinking of going with a speed density fueling system. Just an idea.

User Info Menu

From the tests that were done a bad head gasket has been the culprit. Will be getting it fixed by a fellow in Halifax in the coming weeks.