Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Evo 5 Exhaust

User Info Menu

Sorry I can't comment on e5 fitment since I have a 4. I can tell you vivid racing has been around forever and they are legit. As far as te37's are concerned they are worth it and a great wheel. If you are going to buy a knock off of the te37 I would go for the rota grid ... I think is the name through wheel dude.com. I've owned Rotas before and they were fine, just not as durable as a forged wheel( they are cast) Currently I am running desmond wheels which are about $2500 a set and are super light.

User Info Menu

Awesome, another source for parts added to the list!

I was asking VEXPerformance to tune my Evo and they told me that I'd need to purchase an aftermarket ecu to get it tuned.

Wouldn't it be possible to tune my vehicle with the factory ecu?

User Info Menu

It is possible to reflash the Evo 5/6 ecu but no one I know of in Canada will tune using that interface. I would check mlr to see what the specs on that are. Lots of guys do this in the UK. If you go with vex they will likely do a vipec ecu. They are very good at tuning with vipec it's just more expensive for the hardware.

User Info Menu

If I were to get a new exhaust, Walbro fuel pump, 1100 cc injectors... wouldn't I need to get my car tuned? How would I go about tuning it if I don't get an aftermarket ecu?

I'm just worried that if I were to get these mods, my car would see issues quickly if I don't get it tuned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoxie View Post
    If I were to get a new exhaust, Walbro fuel pump, 1100 cc injectors... wouldn't I need to get my car tuned? How would I go about tuning it if I don't get an aftermarket ecu?

I'm just worried that if I were to get these mods, my car would see issues quickly if I don't get it tuned.
    Most definitely. I'm pretty sure you can develop knock from just an intake on turbocharged vehicles. Alters fuel/air so I'm sure an exhaust and especially injectors would cause issues. If you're not comfortable learning to tune the vehicle yourself (or just eliminate knock) then you're pretty much limited to either finding a remote tuner (which personally I would never do) or coughing up the $$$ for an aftermarket ECU.

Just curious why the 1100cc's? I'm positive 750cc is good to like 500HP.

User Info Menu

Oh and if you were to install injectors you'd most definitely need a tune, and that's a little tougher than just eliminating knock. Then you've got to mess around with injector duty cycle, injector pulse width and stuff.

User Info Menu

Someone on a different forum suggested 1100cc for my vehicle.

Honestly, I would play around with tuning it myself... I just don't know if the scarce guides for tuning older evos are accurate enough to actually learn how to do it properly.

I just get a tactrix cable and its adapter + extension cable to be able to connect it to a computer right? What program(s) should I use to tune my Evo?

User Info Menu

Sorry man I don't know the programming end, I havnt researched that myself. Again mlr would be the source. I can tell you though 750cc injectors will support nearly 500 hp depending on the type of fuel. I don't know what power levels you are shooting for but 1100 cc is way too much unless your shooting for the sky.

There are injector size calculators online you could plug in some numbers and see what they suggest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slowboi View Post
    Sorry man I don't know the programming end, I havnt researched that myself. Again mlr would be the source. I can tell you though 750cc injectors will support nearly 500 hp depending on the type of fuel. I don't know what power levels you are shooting for but 1100 cc is way too much unless your shooting for the sky.

There are injector size calculators online you could plug in some numbers and see what they suggest.
    Alright, thanks for the advice! I'll probably just go for 850s (middle of the range) and with that I don't think I'd ever need to upgrade my injectors again.

Right now, the biggest issue I have is the tuning. I've thought of buying the tactrix cables and components to tune my car myself but it would be quite dangerous considering I have no idea how accurate and trustworthy the guides I've read are.

As I stated prior, I contacted VEXPerformance and they suggested I either go for an APEXi or Haltech aftermarket ecu. If I were to go with this option, should I go with the APEXi or the Haltech? I'd like to know which of these two ecu's would allow me to go to another tuner (if VEXPerformance does not live up to its reputation or some other rare reason) if need be and performance (performance of the ecu; functionality, versatility, and flexibility).

I know past the 400hp while increasing torque proportional to the gains in hp would need me to change the internals of the stock block.

User Info Menu

Haltech would have more support in North America by far. That's what I'd go for but it wouldn't be cheap....