Thread: Low profile tire installation costs

User Info Menu

Default Low profile tire installation costs

Hello

Ok, I bought some new tires for my car before they arrived because I have the sizes from the pictures I was sent and the tires were on sale with a total of $500 for 4 new tires (which I expected to spend $800).

Now, my question, how much does it cost to typically install low profile tires?

I called Canadian Tire (who I bought the tires from) and they said it'll cost me $120 for them to install it because they are low profile and need to be done a different way from normal tires. I'm kind of skeptical as to why they would ask so much, but no matter, how much does it typically cost for a shop to do this?

Thanks

Josh

User Info Menu

I think $20 per tire is pretty normal. You'll probably get a better price at an independent tire shop.

User Info Menu

Ok, I will try to call other shops to see if they are better priced. If not, might just go to CT because if they mess up, I can get something from them rather than an independent where it might be hard.

User Info Menu

I was able to get my 215 40 17 repaired at an "OK tire" it was no more charge than regular. Some of the larger chains don't seem to like the challenge of low profile so they just charge more. I've never seen someone use a different machine of method with low profile, it just takes a little longer.

Because it's just not an STI without a slightly ridiculous wing on the back

User Info Menu

As the others said I +1:
    1. Don't use CT or any other large chain (they often do poor work and will scratch your rims and may install wheel weights on the outside-make sure any shop installs on the inside).
    2. There is no reason to charge extra for aluminum wheels or low profile tires but many big name shops will charge $120-$200 with the same deceptive reasoning you mention.

User Info Menu

Also if you have expensive rims you don't want damaged call around and ask if they have a touch less tire mounting machine. It might cost a little more and be harder to find but with one of these, the shop doesn't use a tire iron on the face of your rims to seat the bead.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

Yea, I don't think I will be going to CT or any other large chain (unless it's Costco because I like Costco). JDMVIP, I found it extremely unreal when the guy over the phone told me "We charge extra for mounting low profile tires". In my head, I was wondering why and apparently it's because they require special equipment. I called a different CT and asked them how do they mount tires (and with what equipment) and the guy answered that they only have 1 type of mounting equipment. I went to CT because they bailed me out one day. Tire on SUV went flat in the highway, got it to a nearby mall and no other shop would take me the same day. CT worker comes out and tells me I can do it in 15 minutes (when the manager said they were fully booked). Great service by the man, guess it was only the guy and not the store.

My rims are the stock RAYS WRP10 wheels. Not sure if I should spend the extra for the touchless tire mounting, what do you think?