Thread: Hey guys! Need a little Altezza help!

User Info Menu

Default Hey guys! Need a little Altezza help!

Hey guys!

I just received my 1999 Toyota Altezza RS200 from William @ JDM Connection (best service I have had from anywhere ever, he is actively helping me with this issue and he seems very happy to answer my daily phone calls, haha). Just thought I'd post this up and see if anyone had any ideas.

I'm having the hardest time revving it above a certian RPM (about 3000, and it has a hard time reaching 3000 even with any load). It has a verry bad hesitation. If I floor the car in 1st it is very jerky. The car idles perfectly, like balance a dime on the engine cover perfect. I'll list what I have done, any other suggestions would be great!

Checked for vaccum leaks (there was none)
    cleaned MAF (I've had 4 toyotas to date, problem on all of them lol)
    Cleaned throttle body
    cleaned the whole intake system as it was full of oil
    checked the coils (unpluged on idle, all of them are working atleast on idle)
    checked injectors (in the same fashion as the coils)
    I have no CEL
    Can not get my scan tool to connect to the car to verify lack of CEL (Innova 3100)
    I will note that the exhaust gets hot if I run the car on the highway. It has some 'after smoke' and it got hot enough to melt my bumper a little bit. I'm assuming it is running lean based on this, not rich. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really am stumped.

-Andrew
    1999 Toyota Altezza RS200 Z
    1996 Toyota Tacoma, 2wd, 5 speed, 4cyl

User Info Menu

Maybe the oxygen senor(s)? Plugged catalytic converter?

User Info Menu

Good call! I may try removing the exhaust system and see if the cat is clogged. I've actually already looked in the muffler for something clogging it as per Williams suggestion

User Info Menu

Did you fix the issue ? if so would you care to enlighten us on what the cause was and how you fixed it ? I believe your car has the dual VVT-I "black top" Beams motor Only reason I know is because I have a "redtop" Beams '98 MR2. These engines are awesome especially when you get them revving high.

User Info Menu

Yes rev5 I did fix the issue. It did turn out to be a faulty maf sensor. I plugged in a new one that was the part number for a early 2000's Tacoma and it worked no issues!

I agree that this is a great engine as well! The weight distribution in the car combined with light weight a d a very pronounced power band is success in my books!