Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evo mod list [help needed]

User Info Menu

Default Evo mod list [help needed]

Hello guys,

I need help with figuring out all the mods I need for my evo 5.

So after looking at my exhaust, I realized it was already 3" all the way and the downpipe has been changed already. It was only so quiet because there are two resonators and a silencer. I got rid of the silencer and it has increased in sound dramatically!

My current change list ATM is:
    Walbro fuel pump
    650 or 750cc injectors
    Uprated intercooler
    Boost controller
    Air fuel ratio gauge
    Dual plate clutch and flywheel
    Brake pads
    Tuning

Maybe:
    Rods and cams

Current power goal:
    380-400 bhp

Future power goal: 500 wheel

I don't need to get everything right now for the 500 wheel, right now, the 380-400 bhp is enough until I get another car for daily driving since 500 wheel wouldn't be a good idea for a daily driver.

Any suggestions or corrections?

User Info Menu

Also, should I decat + get rid of the two resonators? I fear that it might become too loud but I can always just put the silencer back on.

User Info Menu

First thing in my mind is to decide which way you are wanting to go with the car. If you notice on some of the bigger evo sites there is a big division between the drag evo scene and the track evo scene.

If you look on evolutionm.net a lot of the builds are centered towards drag and fast street whereas MLR is mostly about autocross, time attack and circuit builds.

If you are looking for fast street and drag your list seems alright. Although if your looking to go drag race on a sticky prepped track you'll be looking at getting rid of the ayc diff and some transfer case/ axle mods.

If your looking at track, time attack and autocross I would be focusing on swaybars, coilovers, bushings, end-links, a good alignment, brakes, pads, a light set of wheels and tires before worrying about power. These cars have enough power to outrun way more powerful cars on the track if you focus on suspension, brakes, alignment and tires.

If you want to have it all you better take out a loan, really on a normal persons budget you have to pick something if you want to be above average at anything when compared to E8's, 9's and x's.

User Info Menu

Also, should I decat + get rid of the two resonators? I fear that it might become too loud but I can always just put the silencer back on.
    This comes down to what type of muffler your running. I don't have any cat's or resonators on my car and it sounds great. I have 3" turbo back too. I bought a good muffler though that I knew would sound good and its not too loud with a very low rumble.

User Info Menu

With the mods that I listed (aside from the rods and cams), I am looking at 6-7k$ including labour. The suspension is already aftermarket and it's way too stiff, haha. Even differences in ground levels that aren't visible at all, I can feel completely.

My end goal is to have it ready for drag and track but I'm turning this car into a project car so I will spend some time and money into it. I don't plan on getting everything in one go, just because I still have uni to pay for (which is a higher priority).

Do you have any additions or changes you'd like to make? Since you said that my list is only alright and not good or perfect.

User Info Menu

If you had to pick one, drag OR track, which would it be? The reason I ask is that it will be difficult if not impossible to be great at both. You can be average at both if you spend a ton of money though.

I can speak from experience (because Im building a cercuit/track car) that stiff suspension doesn't equal good suspension for track. I'm not saying you wont be successful at the track but you would have to take your car to an event and see how it handles in the corners etc.

For track:
    Good adjustable sway bars front and rear
    Strut tower braces front and rear
    Other unibody braces (are you going to do a cage eventually)
    Harness? Better seats?
    Shifter assembly?
    Race pack or lap monitoring system?
    Fire suppression system? Battery re-location?
    Are you going to redo all your suspension bushings
    Camber, castor toe formula (have you come up with a proper alignment?)
    Adjustable trailing arms and castor bushings to achieve a race alignment
    Diffs (front centre back) are you doing 1-way, 1.5, 2 way or select open diffs, mechanical or plated? do you need to buy ones with adjustment?
    Are you wanting to do rally because tarmac and gravel are completely different set ups.
    Wheel and tire choice? Race wheels? 16,17,18 based on tire cost and choice and the type of competition.
    Have you addressed small things like brake fluid being dot 4 not 3, what kind of compound are the pads you use?
    Have you thought of Aero (functional Aero)?

Also have you read the rules revolving around nhra or wcma competitions to pick what class you may fit into? Because if not you may be spending money twice since a lot of things will preclude you from certain classes based on mods.

Anyway some things to think about, my point is to plan your build based on what you want to do. I would advise you that building a car that can do everything may be a little much. A lot of the stuff above is completely different when building a competitive drag car.

The stuff I would add to your list above:
    - A good wide band gauge and boost at minnimum
    - A proper way of controlling boost ie: an electronic controller or using the factory solenoid... I'm not a fan of manual
    - Im not sure an intercooler is money well spent around 400hp Ive heard the stock one can go a long way
    - A hard wire/hot wire kit for your fuel pump to increase voltage

Again I cant tell you your list is perfect since it depends on a specific goal also I could be a little more specific if you put up a complete mod list of what you already have with brands.
    Last edited by Slowboi; 05-31-2015 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slowboi View Post
    If you had to pick one, drag OR track, which would it be? The reason I ask is that it will be difficult if not impossible to be great at both. You can be average at both if you spend a ton of money though.

I can speak from experience (because Im building a cercuit/track car) that stiff suspension doesn't equal good suspension for track. I'm not saying you wont be successful at the track but you would have to take your car to an event and see how it handles in the corners etc.

For track:
    Good adjustable sway bars front and rear
    Strut tower braces front and rear
    Other unibody braces (are you going to do a cage eventually)
    Harness? Better seats?
    Shifter assembly?
    Race pack or lap monitoring system?
    Fire suppression system? Battery re-location?
    Are you going to redo all your suspension bushings
    Camber, castor toe formula (have you come up with a proper alignment?)
    Adjustable trailing arms and castor bushings to achieve a race alignment
    Diffs (front centre back) are you doing 1-way, 1.5, 2 way or select open diffs, mechanical or plated? do you need to buy ones with adjustment?
    Are you wanting to do rally because tarmac and gravel are completely different set ups.
    Wheel and tire choice? Race wheels? 16,17,18 based on tire cost and choice and the type of competition.
    Have you addressed small things like brake fluid being dot 4 not 3, what kind of compound are the pads you use?
    Have you thought of Aero (functional Aero)?

Also have you read the rules revolving around nhra or wcma competitions to pick what class you may fit into? Because if not you may be spending money twice since a lot of things will preclude you from certain classes based on mods.

Anyway some things to think about, my point is to plan your build based on what you want to do. I would advise you that building a car that can do everything may be a little much. A lot of the stuff above is completely different when building a competitive drag car.

The stuff I would add to your list above:
    - A good wide band gauge and boost at minnimum
    - A proper way of controlling boost ie: an electronic controller or using the factory solenoid... I'm not a fan of manual
    - Im not sure an intercooler is money well spent around 400hp Ive heard the stock one can go a long way
    - A hard wire/hot wire kit for your fuel pump to increase voltage

Again I cant tell you your list is perfect since it depends on a specific goal also I could be a little more specific if you put up a complete mod list of what you already have with brands.
    Hey, I'm sorry that I was MIA for around a week.

I'm looking for more drag than track at the moment. Sadly, I don't have time to ever go to a track.

Any more recommendations if I were to spec this car for drags?

User Info Menu

For sure man,

For drag (without braking the bank)
    I would say look at some good light wheels, as wide as you can go, with some sticky tires. I would do a street slick of some kind.

I would leave the alignment at standard specs. Also look at some of the anti-lag/launch control programing from the reflashes available for your ecu.

A short shifter would help you out, also if your going to launch the car at any substancial power levels you will have to get rid or the ayc diff and look at an RS diff. The cast iron case of the rs unit will exceed the power levels of the ayc case.... it will eventually crack. The next part in-line would be the transfer case.

For the track I would still do the chassis braces cause they would help in the long run....

User Info Menu

Before I get an anti-lag and launch control installed, should I go and upgrade the internals. I fear that if I don't, I may blow the engine.

User Info Menu

In my opinion it won't do a whole lot more damage when compared to launching your car the traditional way. Either way it's hard on the drive train. Launch control just makes you more consistent since it's the same rpm every time.