Thread: 1999 Mitsu Pajero GDI vs 1999 Hilux Surf

User Info Menu

Default 1999 Mitsu Pajero GDI vs 1999 Hilux Surf

I'm looking at buying either a 1999 era Mitsubishi Pajero with the 3.5L gas engine or the 1999 Hilux Surf with the 3.4L gas engine. Does anyone have experience with either or can they recommend one over the other? Personally I like the look of the Pajero much more, but I'm worried about reliability and parts. I'm pretty sure 99% of parts will be compatible with a Mitsubishi Montero sold in the U.S but if someone can confirm that I would appreciate it. The Surf is basically a 4Runner so I know parts would be very plentiful. Any personal experience would be awesome!

Thanks!
    -Stephan
    1990 Celica All Trac- Sold
    1999 Mitsubishi Evolution VI GSR

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer with the back. Horsepower is how fast you hit it and torque is how far you take the wall"

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

User Info Menu

That 3.4L is possibly one of the best engines Toyota made. I have been tempted by the hilux as of late.

User Info Menu

I am way late to this thread, but in case you're still on the fence...

Can't speak for the Surf, but...

The Paj is a great rig! Just to clarify, are you looking at the curvy one, or the boxy one? 99 was when they changed to the third generation, so you could get the 2nd gen body on frame, live rear axle model, OR the swoopy 3rd gen unibody, independent rear suspension model. (V4X versus V7X, X being replaced by a letter depending on which engine).

Both have their plusses. The second gen is definitely more rugged, the third gen more suited for road/occasional offroad.

Both share most parts with their North American counterparts, but the GDI 3.5 is not the engine we got in either version of the North American 3.5L Montero. Ours was non-direct injection. I've read of some reliability issues with the GDI version, but can't say for sure, since I've never owned a GDI version. The 3.5 engine as a base though, is a great engine, and variants appeared in lots of Mitsus, both truck based and transverse mounted. Looked after, and with timing belt changes, it is generally a long-lasting and trouble free power plant.

In a Pajero, if it isn't the 3.5 MIVEC (only in the Paj-Evo), I'd instead go for one of the two larger Mitsu diesels (2.8 or 3.2) . Dead simple/reliable, timing chain, more efficient, and in the case of the 3.2L DiD, huge torque. But I don't claim to be an expert. Just enthusiastic.
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Hey man thanks for the input! I actually ended up buying a Honda Ridgeline and I'm in the process of selling the Evo.
    1990 Celica All Trac- Sold
    1999 Mitsubishi Evolution VI GSR

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer with the back. Horsepower is how fast you hit it and torque is how far you take the wall"

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)