Thread: Just checking in with the JDM Mitsu peeps

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Just checking in with the JDM Mitsu peeps

So I've been MIA for a while... sold my Evo a few years back (still miss it) to do some home renos, pay down some debt etc, and last year I sold my Pajero after close to six years of absolute joy of ownership... (yep, still miss it too)

I did get a '13 Lancer Sportback as a DD, and am routinely turning in fuel numbers below 7L/100kms. We sold my wife's Outlander at the same time as the Pajero, and bought a Canadian Market 2003 Montero. Its been great, aside from a later crank bolt failure as a result of the timing belt done by the dealer before we got it (crank bolt came out, took out the top end of the engine - dealer agreed to pay half the repair, even though the work had been done a year before we got the truck). Anyways, the Gen3 Montero/Pajero is a great rig, and my wife loves it. Also tows our trailer really well with the 3.8L...

But I do miss having a JDM. Miss the uniqueness of having a rig most people have never seen before. (Technically, the Montero is like that for many too). I think I may get back in the game. I have to save some pennies first - this one will be purely for play, since we'll keep the other two for DD duties. But I'm after what for me is the ultimate Mitsu - the Dakar Homologation Pajero. The Paj-Evo. There are now a few in Canada, but I may get one straight from the source - if I do, William will be getting a call.

Aren't there any other mitsu folks out there, beyond the Evo section?

Anyways, just checking in. Enjoyed spending time here when I was a JDM'er - pretty sure I will be again.

Cheers All,
    Phil
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Hi Phil, I'm a fellow mitsu'er now, I picked up a 95 Pajero in may, been building her up and getting her all tip top shape, been looking at sending you an email, as I had watched you building up your old paj

User Info Menu

That's cool! Did you get the 4M40? LWB or shorty? What have you done with it so far?

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

yep, the 4m40, I had the 4d56 in my 91 delica, I dont know if it was just an anemic motor, or that one had been soo mickey moused, but it was not fun, the 4m40 is soo nice, has the power to move, and its easy to work on ( in the deli the engine was under your seat.. :P)
    I got the lwb, I tend to use the cargo room, so get as much as I can.

So far, installed new cd deck, cb radio, Boost, EGT gauges, snorkel, and replaced the burnt out wheel indicators on the ss4wd display, did my tie rods tonight, going in for alignment tomorrow.
    Have an ARB bumper on order, next year will be OME suspension, and source some sliders

User Info Menu

where do people buy their suspension parts from?
    for example

- tie rods
    - ball joint
    - sway bar bushings
    - etc. etc.
    Current rides;
    1989 BMW E34 525(rhd)
    2001 BMW X5 4.4 v8 AWD
    1998 Mitsubishi Evo V

Past rides;
    2008 Honda Ruckus/Gy6 swap stretched *sold*
    1989 BMW E34 535i *donated*
    1991 Nissan 240sx/Silvia swap *sold*
    1986 Nissan 200sx *donated*

User Info Menu

if you're looking for pajero bits, the tie rods, balljoints, ect, are the same as the domestic montero for those years, I got mine through RockAuto.com, for my shocks, coils, ect, I'll be getting Old Man Emu parts through my buddy's shop here in Calgary ( he has a truck outfitting business)

.. edit, I saw in your sig after, you've got an EVO, for that, I dont know of any domestic counterparts that would be compatible, I'd go through an importer that stocks parts, Jcruisers in Armstrong BC, MaxOverdrive, Amazing Auto imports ( both in van) if theyre still around
    Last edited by Nukes25; 07-11-2015 at 10:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Just an update... I am now officially looking.. And I have JDM Connection in my corner.

If we snag a paj-evo I shall post up the details here. But they are few and far between, so it may take a while...

User Info Menu

Been searching now for a few weeks. Nothing so far - lots of possibles, but more money than I wanted to pay. Plus a few that I wouldn't risk. The weak Canadian dollar is a big impediment to importing compared to what it was when I was buying back in 2012. Ouch.

Anyways, William@JDMconnection is as excellent as always, and we've been finding lots of cool rigs. Just not "mine" yet. But we will...