Thread: Toyota Alphard ultimate VIP minivan

User Info Menu

Default Toyota Alphard ultimate VIP minivan

These Alphards are a nice VIP ride when done right IMHO based on many an airport and cross border trip. They are roomy, comfortable and can take 12 pieces of luggage and 7 passengers.

The specs are a 3liter 220HP 1MZ engine or a smaller 2.4liter160HP 2AZ (do not bother is my impression). I just wish they had 280BHP and wonder if there is a 1MZ super or turbo kit.

They are heavy at like 1990kg with 4WD but less than the Nissan Elgrand. I would say a drop on springs or coils is a must for decent handling.

Any thoughts guys?

Last edited by jdmvip; 07-11-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: formatting

User Info Menu

Looks like someone shrunk a tour bus and put the grill of a cadillac on it, and it looks to me like it's not going any lower than what it is, unless you want to start tucking tires. I do have to agree that it's a little under powered. If I had to pick only one way of tuning I would go with a super over a turbo. Hauling that much weight around would need the low end that a turbo just wouldn't be able to do.

Because it's just not an STI without a slightly ridiculous wing on the back

User Info Menu

That is one of the funniest descriptions I have heard friend and yet it is both funny and accurate lol. These vehicles have more appeal in person and it's not only that but they are just so practical. My wife hates the headlights in these types of vans though lol.

The example I posted is already lowered plus it has larger rims and a bodykit and it would be low enough for me but I'd want stiffer suspension for sure.

I was reading and the 2AZ engine is used in the Camry and Scion and they do have turbo kits for them but that could be expensive and painful. How much boost would it take to get from 160HP to 280+ and can the engine take it on stock internals? Some have turbo'd their 1MZ engines but there are no plug and play systems at all for the 1MZ I could find. And have never read about a supercharger unfortunately and I agree it would be ideal.

Does anyone have any other ideas for similar vans with more power?
    The Elgrand weights more but I believe has 260HP but for so much weight I'd really like at least 280BHP in a van like this.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 07-11-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Front Right.jpg

I've just bought an 05 Alphard, with the 3L 1MZ, 129k km, dual power sliders, dual sunroof, 7 seater, power curtains, DVD, ect.
    Looking at them, they will be an awesome family mover, just gotta wait for it to arrive, they're still in process of booking it, bought it through BeForward

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nukes25 View Post
    Front Right.jpg

I've just bought an 05 Alphard, with the 3L 1MZ, 129k km, dual power sliders, dual sunroof, 7 seater, power curtains, DVD, ect.
    Looking at them, they will be an awesome family mover, just gotta wait for it to arrive, they're still in process of booking it, bought it through BeForward
    Congrats Nukes, keep us updated. I have seen many Alphard's, Estima's and other VIP people movers around. They are a very practical vehicle and now with 2008 approaching we can have the more VIP and high powered models with the same 2GR-FE that the 2006+ Estima's have.

Another option we have considered is the newer 2006+ Estima's as they have the 280BHP 3.5L (2GR-FE) and some have the separate seats in the middle which recline and can be moved all the way to the back of the vehicle if the third row seats are folded into the boot.

User Info Menu

Thanks, yeah, can't wait for it to arrive, I looked them over at LinkRides in Surrey the week I ordered mine, should work perfectly as family mover.
    I was thinking of holding off till 08's are available, was going to go for a vellfire, but price is a fair bit higher on those units

my van is booked now, leaving Japan this week, due in mid nov

User Info Menu

20221114_132013.jpg
    vehicle arrived nov 10, got it cleared, and brought home the next week, and on the road

loving it, its so comfortable and smooth, and has TEMS, which is a nice bonus, until I swap in a set of Teins lol

once I had it on the road, the modding began; installed Apexi intake, HKS legamax muffler, which I've switched to an HKS ES Sport muffler now, has a nice grumble to it have a full set of Cusco chassis bars to install, I have a cusco strut brace, but its not compatible with the TEMS, so it'll wait for the teins.
    Last edited by Nukes25; 01-14-2023 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Congrats Nukes, great looking example! These are a very practical ride and I'm seeing more and more of them around.

User Info Menu

Thanks, yeah, we love it so far, the dual power sliding doors is a game changer, just remote them open as we walk up
    I also put on an HKS exhaust, gives it a nice rumble, so the son loves it as we get going, he hates stopping in traffic, lights, ect hehe
    and she just loves to glide on the highway, we went upisland a couple weeks ago, cruising at 140 without even knowing or trying, just rolled along at 3500rpm :P
    Shes going in for a tein flex Z w/ full edfc controller next month, bring her down a hair to fill in the wheel well gap with the 18" summers