Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early JDM Toyota Trucks & SUVs are unreliable prone to cracked heads

User Info Menu

I agree they are known for reliability, but there's always exceptions to these rules that we've learned.

Well I don't want to rag on vehicles I know nothing about, but there are some vehicles that hold their value for no apparent reason. Eg. Skyline R34 is worth more than R33 just based on looks.

That being said overall the old Toyota's are definitely some of the most reliable with some small exceptions.

Could these head issues also be due to abuse/lack of maintenance by any chance?

User Info Menu

We will see when i get this truck..

Im planning on keeping it, well for awhile anyways..

till the end of next summer..

so im going to do some maintenace to it for sure..

Change the Thermastat.

Change the Glow Plugs.

Change Fuel Filters

Air Filter, Oil Filter

Flush the Cooling system,

stuff like that..

We will see.

User Info Menu

Toyota trucks are probably one of the best for reliability and I'm pretty sure there #1 for long lasting. There small and excellent for wheeling. You can't fit a full size, lifted domestic truck down a trail without getting wedged or high centred somewhere. Thats why Toyota's are great off road vehicles, small decent size engines (V6's or deisels) and short wheels bases matched with an ungoldy amount of aftermarket suspension kits.

The only downside to all the upsides is that they hold there value REALLY well, therefore there a bit pricey. I bought mine about 3 months ago. I paid $4000 for a 1989 4x4 pickup V6. I thought the price was a bit steep but I went and checked it out and the frame was in perfect condition, there was no rust in/on the wheel wells, just very minor body rust which I will be taking out this summer. And the best thing of all about buying this 19 year old truck is that it only had 207,000 kilometres on it. It sounds like alot but it really isn't. Usually a truck like this would have over 300,000 kilometres on it. Another upside was the guy that sold it to me threw in all 5 original wheels (I have 4 aftermarket on now),canopy with roof racks, and all recipts with original bill of sale. So all in all a decent buy.

Sorry for rambling...lol Yota's kick some ass!
    1989 Toyota Pick-Up
    Skylineless for the short future....

User Info Menu

The Local V6 are a great Engine..

the 4.2 Turbo Diesels are also a great engine..

the 2.4L Turbo are the worst engine ever made by toyota..

its sad they even sold it..

the 2.8l non Turbo.. is a good engine.. i wont say great however its the best diesel outside of the 4.2l..

the 3.0l Diesel suffers from similer issues as the 2.4l, however its a bit better.

User Info Menu

If my trucks engine (V6, gas) ever shit the bed, I'd definitely consider buying a toyota deisel.
    1989 Toyota Pick-Up
    Skylineless for the short future....

User Info Menu

I've also wondered by the normal Hilux is ultra expensive. I think its because all those african countries have millions of them, and all the parts and knowledge to keep them going, so they keep importing every early 90's hilux they can find. I remember them saying once that early 90's Camry's were on the high steal list for Canada because they wanted parts from them for Africa were there were still lots and lots.

User Info Menu

I think there's just a lot of demand for them kind of like GTR.

User Info Menu

The pickup Hilux is quite rare so that would raise the prce.
    Then there is the Top Gear Hilux that wouldn't die driving up desire around the world but mostly in Europe - Can you believe that there were never any imported into England in the 90s but were badge engineered as VWs...
    Then, and maybe most important, the Hilux pickup has a solid front axle where the Surf goes for the softer-road independent front suspension.

User Info Menu

quite slaggin the 2.4 2lte toyota.. people who didnt take care of them in japan are the problem if you switch the head before it cracks you can get 500 000km on them ..that hilux from top gear was a 2.4 but not a turbo.. and look what they did!!!
    they sold the 2.4 non turbo diesel in canada up till 85...i agree its not as good at the 4.6 diesel but ive have no issues in 4 years ive had mine other than maintence.. NO ISSUES AT ALL! no a glow plug or a u joint or cv boot ...

im just a real toyota hilux crazy guy.. had 22re 4runners for a long time... love my rust free jdm unit

if only i could get a jimny
    Last edited by hellinahilux; 02-14-2010 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

i am just abt to buy a toyota 2.8 diesel auto 4wd with front freerunning hubs.pop top.bodywork is great inside is good.its a 1994 and done 82000miles.what pitfalls could there possibly be,and what joy can i expect.