Thread: jdmvip (Areeb Yasir) vs Pacific Coast Auto (Derek Weldon) Court Document Judgement

User Info Menu

Default jdmvip (Areeb Yasir) vs Pacific Coast Auto (Derek Weldon) Court Document Judgement

I got my first sense of relief: The Judge in BC Provincial Court found in my favour to force Derek Weldon of Pacific Coast Auto JDM/Pacific Coast Auto Imports Japan to pay me for the damages he caused to my vehicle.

The Judge did not buy Derek Weldon's jurisdiction argument, and was livid that Derek Weldon did not follow proper court procedure and did not show up. Apparently Derek Weldon is familiar with it all but still did not obey the court's orders to appear (anyone's guess I suppose...). It was very frustrating for the court and for me to see Derek's wild and defamatory responses to the lawsuit with false claims that I was abusing the court, yet Derek Weldon wasted the court's time by not showing up. I believe he thought his initial demand to withdraw the case based on the jurisdiction would end the process but when it didn't work he thought not showing up would prevent a judgement.

The Judge gave me the default order after he reviewed the materials I brought and found Derek Weldon's defense "foolish" and said that "He's pleading nothing". It was a huge sense of relief for me to have the justice system validate the things I have suffered.

But it seems Derek Weldon has decided to appeal it, that's fine, the Judge told me that he might. But also told me that it was the opportunity I should use to add on any additional cost I incurred- so I will be doing that. I can file to order Derek Weldon to appear physically for all hearings which makes sense to me since he didn't show up last time. If he decides to show contempt to the court again he could be arrested if this pattern continues..I don't know if I want it to go that far but it's up to the judge and I just want this resolved fairly and properly.

Even though Derek Weldon has decided to continue to stall things, I still feel some satisfaction knowing that Judges go by facts and evidence, not just fairy tales. I was right to believe in the Justice system and I am grateful that he reviewed my case and went ahead with the order.

Let's hope the next things Derek Weldon does will be fair and proper with my case.

*Update as of 2017-04-20 Derek Weldon of Pacific Coast Auto Imports Japan has neither appealed the judgement or paid me for the damages. The judgement does not expire.
    I believe he hasn't appealed because the court doesn't allow appeals in this case unless you deposit the owing amount to the court (this is so people cannot frivolously appeal valid judgements).

Attached Files Attached Files
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 04-20-2017 at 11:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Good stuff, been following the case for awhile now.

User Info Menu

I think it would have been cheaper to just pay the damages than to spend money on flights to Canada.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

I think it would have been cheaper to just pay the damages than to spend money on flights to Canada.
    Yeah no kidding, I lived in Osaka for 5 years and I think I only came back to Canada twice... 10-12 hours on a plane really gets me down.

Im glad this was resolved by a third party (judge) in court. I think this whole thing needed someone impartial to look at it fresh and decide... that obviously what happened...

User Info Menu

Now correct me if im wrong but pacific coast jdm is a registered business in bc, so it has to abide by canadian laws and falls under Canadian jurisdiction.