Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter is here! Evo 4 Build thread round 2!!!!

User Info Menu

Man what a hardcore build thread. I love following your EVO!
    Thanks man! Appreciate it....

Hopefully all this work results in better performance on the track. My set up last year was really good but with a front diff and other suspension changes I'm hoping its better.

User Info Menu

Did you order enough in the box to do my car? :P

User Info Menu

Still working on a solution for the diff bolts. One of the issues is they loosen on their own and back out. Tried some techniques to solve that tonight on a scrap diff I have....

- I removed close to the same amount of material added
    - I torture tested the fasteners, the welds penetrated and they arnt coming out took me a few tries to get the setting right.
    - The ring that sits in the groove isnt impeded in any way
    - The welds are below the flat surface on the outer edge
    - The case was not overheated, waited in between each weld to cool things down to the touch

Not sure if this is the way to go.....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

After doing a little more research I have decided to try machining my diff. I have sent it out today to Transmission Dynamics in Bedford UK to have the case machined to accept larger bolts that will handle more stress. The turn around time I have been quoted was about 2 weeks so I will post up the results here. In the meantime this is what the case should look like when it returns.

User Info Menu

Good call I think it is much safer this way with the bolts backing out on their own.

User Info Menu

Loving this build. You are doing things carefully, with an eye toward longevity. Redundancy is a good thing too. If everyone had the sķill/patience you had when working on their vehicle, a lot more sweet rides would still be on the road!

Cheers to a great evo build thread!
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Good call I think it is much safer this way with the bolts backing out on their own.
    Loving this build. You are doing things carefully, with an eye toward longevity. Redundancy is a good thing too. If everyone had the sķill/patience you had when working on their vehicle, a lot more sweet rides would still be on the road!
    Cheers to a great evo build thread!
    Thanks guys! really appreciate the positive comments! Id like this thing to last for sure, hopefully Im on pace to get most of my list done for summer.....

In other news my diff has been modified and is on its way back to Canada from its European vacation. The shop sent me a few pics of the larger fasteners being put in....

User Info Menu

Another quick update on my build thread....
    I now have two (major) items left to buy on this years list. New tires and wheels and a front swaybar.

I decided this year to go with a more dedicated track tire. I originally thought of trying r888's but every year they seem to go up in price. With this year them being around the 300$ mark I decided to go for another brand.

After looking around at reviews I decided to try out a federal tire... Yes federal makes crap passenger car tires HOWEVER in Europe and Asia their race tires are very highly rated and have great reviews. I still have my re-11's for damp conditions so I decided to pick up a set of 595rs-r's for dry conditions.

http://www.federaltire.com/en/produc...ts_detail_sn=5

They were really cheap and I should be able to have them here in a few weeks. Treadwear is 140 but everywhere I look says that they are even softer than that. With my new suspension set up the car should really stick!