Thread: Tyee Imports

User Info Menu

Default Tyee Imports

Hello,

I am new to this cite as well as JDM cars. I have been around them for quite some time and figured it was time to try it out and see what it was about.

I am very interested in getting a version 5 or 6 STI and have been trying my best to research as best as I can where to get it from. Obviously, buying local is an option but I am trying to learn more about buying from an importer. I was recommended to tyee by a friend and without looking at reviews of the business got excited by all the subarus on the website. And now that Ive seen what is on this cite as well as other JDM tuner websites I am not so sure that is the way I should go. My questions are: since some of the threads are from like 2009 I am wondering if tyee has cleaned up its act. Not all of the cars are perfect on there but most look like they are pretty decent condition and worth looking at. Also, I was wondering if someone could help me with what questions to ask and what to look for etc. And if anyone has had any recent experiences with them.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Tyee to me is more of a dealership and I'm not sure if they have "cleaned up their act" but I know there was a lot of rumblings about them buying a lot of R grade cars in Japan. I personally used William at JDM Connection to import my skyline and it was overall a very positive experience.

User Info Menu

I can help you import, I dont stock cars and my min requirment is a grade 3.5

let me know if you need help

User Info Menu

I have purchased 2 vehicles from Grant at Tyee, and I suppose I should have quit after the first.He got me again. now bear in mind that purchasing a JDM is a 'buyer beware' sort of purchase, but one has to place a bit of trust in the importer. don't do that with Tyee. My latest purchase, a 2000 BH5 (which is an amazing model) was plagued with problems from the start despite the reassurances of Grant that the car had no issues whatsoever. It is what it is. I'll always buy JDMs as long as we can own, register, insure etc, but never again from Tyee.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear Jon I've heard mixed reviews about Tyee. The biggest issue with Importers and Exporters is trust and we depend on members to give honest feedback as things change for better or worse with many companies over the years.

User Info Menu

Thank you for sharing your experiences Rubbin and JonPfen.
    I have just started doing my research and this website has a wealth of information to start one's JDM car journey.