Thread: Clutch master cylinder damper valve split open

User Info Menu

Default Clutch master cylinder damper valve split open

I had a fun little issue yesterday morning. I was all packed up for a weekend fishing trip, about to drop my kids off with my sister and my gf off at work. Got about 10KMs down the road, went to shift and couldn't find the clutch pedal. Pulled over, pulled the pedal up, pushed it down, same thing. Looked under the hood and saw fluid leaking from the bottom of the master cylinder. Upon further inspection, it is the damper valve that failed.

Going to find out if Subaru will sell me just the valve and gasket. If not, I will order from partsouq. Part numbers 37261FC000 for the valve and 37262FC000 for the gasket.

I figured I'd post my experience here in case someone else has this issue at some point. Will update as things fall into place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

User Info Menu

Local Subaru was able to order me the valve and the gasket ($58 and $2 respectively).

While doing some searching, it looks like this identical valve was used on 86 "vehicle variants" from 1998-2009 (according to http://parts.pencesubaru.com/p/Subar...7261FC000.html), so it's no wonder it was so easy to come by.

User Info Menu

And cheap too.

User Info Menu

Just an update. All fixed up. I got the part Thursday (took 9 business days ). Installation took about 30 seconds, but I wasn't properly equipped to bleed the clutch so I didn't get that done until Friday evening. Used a combination of a power bleeder a friend lent me and the old fashioned 2-man "open, push, close, pull" method. Back up and running, but because I had the front of the car jacked up and the bleeder was pointed downward, there might be a tiny bit of air left (trapped by gravity?), so I might go back and bleed it some more later this week (Maybe with the back of the car in the air this time...or completely level).

Also, I read online that removing the intercooler was required for bleeding. I spent considerable time trying to get the intercooler out. Ended up abandoning that idea because I also read that re-installation is harder than removal when you don't have silicone hoses (which I don't). I ended up going under the car and reaching up from the passenger's side which was way easier than trying to get the intercooler off.