Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More aero for the time attack machine!

User Info Menu

Default More aero for the time attack machine!

Its been a busy summer thus far. The car has performed well on the track but I need more grip. I have a lot of grip.... but I want to max out my set up before I add more power. The solution? More Aero!

The goal was to build a splitter out of aluminum and buy a serious wing to offset the splitter.

First order of business? Build a splitter out of 1/8 aluminum.....

User Info Menu

Went out and bought a big sheet of aluminum and began cutting.....

User Info Menu

I then used my lift to drop the car onto the piece of aluminum and then used cardboard to template some canards....

User Info Menu

The canards were not easy to build but they worked out fine since I took my time....

User Info Menu

I also had to fabricate rods to keep the splitter from moving... I ended up attaching the rods to brackets that I fabricated (also from aluminum) that bolt to where the oil and trans cooler are on each side....

User Info Menu

I welded all the aluminum from the inside to keep a seemless type look and hid most of the fasteners. I then sprayed the whole works satin black.

User Info Menu

Next I decided to order a wing... this is where things got a little expensive. I kind of struggled with this a little as most wings on the market that are easy to buy are for show. There is no real design or wind tunnel testing. Im building a track car not a show car so its pretty important this works.

I decided to settle on Voltex or SARD

By chance I was able to get a good (define good really?) semi-budget breaking deal on a SARD fuji spec wing. This is a 1710mm wing that is used in the Japanese GT series and is track tested.

User Info Menu

I then decided to use an RS trunk that I had been storing for a rainy day. This trunk is lighter than the GSR trunk but still had 19 holes in it from the factory wing..... Grrrrrrrr... out comes the welder!

User Info Menu

Bam! all welded up.

User Info Menu

I originally thought I could get away with not painting the whole trunk but unfortunately after welding up 19 holes the trunk got a little wavy. So out came the hammer and dolly and I ended up straightening it out, however now I had to use some filler and paint the whole thing.....