Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to work on the Evo! 2017 mods!!

User Info Menu

The rear structure is two layers of metal so it has to be spot welded and sealed again....

User Info Menu

Eventually I will smooth out the sealed area and fibre glass the welds but for now the area will not oxidize under the flairs.

Then I had time to smooth out the bumper for primer....

User Info Menu

..... and then I primed everything with three coats of high build primer.... lots of sanding ahead....

User Info Menu

I also received an order of Mitsubishi original parts for the flairs. New seals and all the factory clips to attach them to the Evo 4 doors....

User Info Menu

Lots of work but it will be well worth the trouble. I can't wait to see this completed!
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone

User Info Menu

So back to work on the car. I sprayed the front fenders and skirts after making a bunch of repairs. The front fenders (Evo 5) are about 20mm or so wider than the Evo 4....

User Info Menu

So then of course as luck would have it I found a used set of Varis +30mm fenders in Japan..... so whats better than 20mm wider? 30 of course.... so I received them and started doing repairs that you would expect on used fenders.... some cracks an chips here and there, but nothing I cant fix...

User Info Menu

The Varis fenders are also vented to release trapped air in the fender... they are pretty trick and weigh nothing. I knew about these fenders for a while as you can still order them direct from Varis.... I just didnt want to do the 1500$ price tag. So I waited 2 years for a used pair to pop up.

Ive also decided to swap over to a smoked/black lens headlight. Depot makes a set for the Evo 4 so I picked those up too....

User Info Menu

Those fenders are amazing! are you paining everything yourself in your garage? Looks like the paint color is matching pretty good.
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhdgc8 View Post
    Those fenders are amazing! are you paining everything yourself in your garage? Looks like the paint color is matching pretty good.
    Thanks!
    Yep I do all my body work and paint "in house" so to speak. I have a 1000 squarefoot shop to work out of. All the products I use are what you'd find in a bodyshop. I just don't have a paintbooth so I have to do it the old school way:

Clean, clean, clean, and clean some more.... wet the floor, spray, put on a few extra coats of clear, wet sand and polish.

I inevitably get a little dust in the paint so I have to polish it out. Its an added step but I get all my paint work done at cost