Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota OBDII JDMs Require a Techstream Cable Code Scanner

User Info Menu

From what I've read it is because they are using the same official Toyota software and Techstream cable. I should give it another go and take pics if I have any issues. I suspect there may be a driver issue too although it looked like it was able to communicate.

User Info Menu

I wasn't able to get it to work earlier this summer. I am using version 7.11.010 and am downloading some newer versions. I believe I had to switch my software to a different region but now all the buttons have question marks even though I have installed the Asian language pack in XP.

User Info Menu

I don't think I took pics but I recall the issue is that it wouldn't communicate with my car when choosing it as an LS430 and I believe I changed the region in the software Japan and then got to the point I am now.

I am installing a newer Techstream version to see if that sorts it out.

User Info Menu

OK success the new version worked a treat and in English .
    Will update with more info and a few screenshots later.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

For UK members (possibly European members too..) Ian Hawkins' "Torque" software works when used with an ELM327 adapter (mine is a cheap, eBay-sourced clone and that works just as well as the o/e ones).
    Torque can be found in both Android and i-phone versions, but has been ported to run by cable under MInt or any similar (Debian based) PC operating system. My laptop (macbook Pro, A1278 model running Mint 18.2) runs fine with Torque and this applies to all 3 of my JDM cars, the Toyota bB, the Mitsubishi Pajero Mini - which has no UK equivalent - and the recently acquired Land Rover Discovery, a 1999 CKD import that was assembled in Japan by people who take a pride in their work and man, does it show!

User Info Menu

Hey JPB I have a few ELM327 adapters and I even bought Torque (part of the small fortune of trying to connect to these Toyota's lol) but for my Aristo and Celsior they didn't work at all for some reason they could never communicate. I am very intrigued that you say they ported Torque to Linux that is very useful for other cars. This was about 2-3 years ago I believe so it could be that the new Torque now supports a lot more JDMs?

User Info Menu

Hello,
    I've had Torque working on my bB (NCP31) and all it needs is an initialisation string to be added.
    I have an OBDLINK MX and the supplied software works fine with the same initialisation string.
    Quite a revelation! I think that not all ELM327 clone adapters will work though.

User Info Menu

Hi markweatherill. Would you be able to tell me what is the initialisation string you had to use to get Torque and OBDLINK's software to work ( with the OBDLINK MX ) ? I also own a couple of NCP31s (both 2000 model yr.). Thank you!

User Info Menu

Here you are:

ATSH8213F1\nATIB96\nATIIA13

(Do a web search on this string and you'll find some good reading on the subject)
    In Torque, this goes in Very Advanced settings. As I recall it took me a few attempts before it started working.