Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota OBDII JDMs Require a Techstream Cable Code Scanner

User Info Menu

Default Toyota OBDII JDMs Require a Techstream Cable Code Scanner

I have tried many scanners that were said to work with different Toyota's and Lexus's but nothing worked on my UCF31 Celsior.

I bought the following cable "OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Cable TOYOTA TIS Techstream MC". I haven't tested this cable or software yet but it should do the trick as many others report.

I will update this thread once I do test the Techstream but for other JDM Toyota owners do not waste your money on random scanners even if other Toyota forums and Lexus forums work for similar models (eg. Celsior vs LS430).

User Info Menu

What's the operating system requirements on this cable? Hopefully it doesn't only work with old outdated stuff like xp or 7.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Sorry I am not sure actually my old netbook has XP. I still haven't had time to test this cable. I think it more so depends on how Toyota Techstream software is supported on different OS's.

User Info Menu

ive taken my celsior to the lexus dealership and they were able to communicate fully with all the ecu in the car

User Info Menu

Good info Ryan! So it means this cable should work since Techstream is what dealers use (my cable is an obvious clone though). Can you review the Lexus dealer you used? I didn't think they would service our cars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    I have tried many scanners that were said to work with different Toyota's and Lexus's but nothing worked on my UCF31 Celsior.

I bought the following cable "OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Cable TOYOTA TIS Techstream MC". I haven't tested this cable or software yet but it should do the trick as many others report.

I will update this thread once I do test the Techstream but for other JDM Toyota owners do not waste your money on random scanners even if other Toyota forums and Lexus forums work for similar models (eg. Celsior vs LS430).
    Hello.
    Did you ever made it to work? And if you didn't what do I need to do?
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

Actually I didn't get it working yet . I tried to make it work but it wasn't able to communicate. There must be some sort of ID or header that is totally different between the LS430 and Celsior. I think I can choose Celsior in the Japanese version but I didn't have Asian language installed. Then the issue will be navigating the software how do you use it when it's in Japanese?

I do believe it would probably work if I can get the Japanese part sorted out though but I haven't tried since the summer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Actually I didn't get it working yet . I tried to make it work but it wasn't able to communicate. There must be some sort of ID or header that is totally different between the LS430 and Celsior. I think I can choose Celsior in the Japanese version but I didn't have Asian language installed. Then the issue will be navigating the software how do you use it when it's in Japanese?

I do believe it would probably work if I can get the Japanese part sorted out though but I haven't tried since the summer.
    Ok I think I know what you mean.
    I still don't have the cable because I just ordered yesterday. Mine is a European version of the LS400 1999 that shares some of the issues with JDM Toyota like the Celsior in a sense, because it is quite hard to find a scanner to communicate with the ECU. In 1999 European cars didn't had the OBD2 standard like they do now. My 1999 LS400 requires a different protocol but as far as I know this TIS techstream cable should work and should also work for you. But you have to choose the right version of your car in the system.

As for the language barrier, if you take a decent picture of a menu and upload it to Google translate it should give you some clues in English about what you are seeing. At least you would definitely know if you are in communication with the ECU or not.

Let me know if you get a chance. My cable will take like 3 or 4 weeks to arrive but I will work on the car in December or so because I live in a different country in Europe and my car is just used during my vacations.

User Info Menu

I will let you know. I believe it will work if I install the Asian language pack and if I can figure out where to click lol.
    If you get it going please update too

User Info Menu

No one has ever had issues connecting to my celsiors obd2 port to reset stuff and diagnose issues. I took my car to the Lexus dealer right away once it arrived, and they were able to connect without issue with their snap on reader