Thread: Recommend me a cheap Rwd import

User Info Menu

Default Recommend me a cheap Rwd import

I've gotten bored of my reliable corolla so i'm looking to import something again. I have a very strict budget however (around 4k customs cleared price) so i'm looking for some recommendations. This leaves me with only about 50,000yen to play with i'm assuming. I'm importing with B-pro auto because i've had a good experience in the past, but i'd consider one of those sites that can just bid for you and you essentially become your own "importer".

Car Must have/be:

Fun to drive
    Rear Wheel Drive
    Manual
    reasonable fuel economy (at least 23mpg)
    Reasonably maintenance costs/ reasonably priced parts

What i'm currently looking at:
    Sw20 Mr2's (Naturally Aspirated) - Can get an early model with around 150k kms
    Altezza's - These are a little more expensive, I'd have to get one with 200k kms

What else can you guys recommend? I'm thinking maybe a bmw 325i's !?
    Last edited by Snowbreeze; 02-10-2018 at 12:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmm this is a tough question with the 50K JPY budget. Do the SW20's really go for the budget? I'd recommend a Toyota just because they will be so reliable.
    The BMW will probably cost you more in short-term maintenance I'd expect and I haven't checked to see what they go for.

I'm very curious to see what you end up with, if you could go for an auto and non-RWD I think it would open up some more options.
    But honestly a higher mileage Altezza or MR2 will not do you wrong.

User Info Menu

I will speak to my own Altezza experience. I got a 2001 RS200Z w/6spd manual and 134k kms. I paid 220,000 yen, a little on the high side, but it had new snow tires and great paint. I am averaging 23mpg - just. The HVAC servos packed it in, so that was a $220 surprise. Other than that, I think these are solid cars even at higher mileage. You should be able to get one at your budget of Y50k. I think the best deals can be had on cars with distressed paint, if you know what I mean.

User Info Menu

Rs200 Beams Altezza is by far the best choice in your budget, they are a pig on juice, well in Ireland anyway becasue we pay 1.40euro per litre for petrol but they are a very bullet proof engine for 200hp plus they are fairly dead but for messing etc with a diff they are a great car. Alternatively you could just buy a is300 and stick a beams 3sge in it

User Info Menu

Ya Brian at B-pro ended up getting me a great deal on an altezza rs200 with 117k kms. It should be here in the next few weeks!