Thread: new member. noob question

User Info Menu

Default new member. noob question

Hey, i recently came across this website and there is a lot of useful info out here. I want to ask a very noob question and please don't hate me for it.

I am thinking of importing 95-99 rx7 since it's been my dream car since i was a kid. I've heard this car take eat a lot of your savings, so i need a clarification on whether it's worth it. I live in Edmonton and i have basic knowledge about cars (pretty sad).
    Can anyone share on how much it will cost me to import, insure, maintain, mild upgrade etc?

Thank you.

User Info Menu

That's an extremely open ended question. I have no idea about the insure and maintain aspect, your best bet would be a RX-7 forum - sorry no help here. I do however have a detailed spreadsheet on importing JDM cars into BC. It breaks down as such (at *today's* exchange rate!):
    300,000 Yen = $6,884 CAD
    500,000 Yen = $9,676 CAD
    700,000 Yen = $12,468 CAD
    I think you will/can find RX-7 in these ranges of price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dontbother View Post
    Hey, i recently came across this website and there is a lot of useful info out here. I want to ask a very noob question and please don't hate me for it.

I am thinking of importing 95-99 rx7 since it's been my dream car since i was a kid. I've heard this car take eat a lot of your savings, so i need a clarification on whether it's worth it. I live in Edmonton and i have basic knowledge about cars (pretty sad).
    Can anyone share on how much it will cost me to import, insure, maintain, mild upgrade etc?

Thank you.
    how deep do you want to go? doing the work yourself? HP goals?

User Info Menu

I know this is an old post but OP did you end up getting an RX7? A lot of people say Rotary Engines are unreliable I think is what you're getting at and some people say they are reliable if taken care of. If the RX-7 is your favorite car which it sounds like it is I say go for it but learn all you can about it, maintain it well and drive it sanely and you should be good. Seriously a lot of people say certain engines are unreliable but a lot of the time it is just a heavy foot and lack of maintenance .

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice