Thread: 3S-GTE engine questions

User Info Menu

Default 3S-GTE engine questions

This engine was in the ST205 Celica in different years and also in the later Toyota Caldina.

Wikipedia talks about differences in design but not differences in specifications and horsepower.

Does anyone have this info?

User Info Menu

I also see the engine was used in MR2

User Info Menu

Some output as a S2K engine but with better torque.
    I seen this is a AE86 and it hauled butt !

User Info Menu

What is the horsepower of the one in the ST205 1994+ Celica?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    What is the horsepower of the one in the ST205 1994+ Celica?
    Celica GT4 ST185 (pre 1994) = Engine: 3S-GTE - 225hp @ 6000rpm - Torque: 31.0kg @ 3200rpm
    MR2 GT / GTS SW20 (pre late 1993) = as above.

Celica GT4 ST205 (1994 and on) = Engine: 3S-GTE - 255hp @ 6000rpm - Torque: 31.0kg @ 4000rpm
    MR2 GT / GTS SW20 (late 1993 and on) = Engine: 3S-GTE - 245hp @ 6000rpm - Torque: 31.0kg @ 4000rpm

The later model MR2's are a lot of fun but very slippery in the rear. With most inexperienced or some average drivers even some good ones..... when they let go, it will be in a big way and nine times out of ten it ends in tears.

The ST205 Celica's.... they are a superb drive and I love them. The build quality is excellent and you feel that as soon as you climb in. They are no rocket ship on the drag strip by any means but still impressive and can stop on a nickel.... huge front brakes for an out of the box car of its size. Put them on a winding road or a mountain pass then take a flask of coffee with you as you will be waiting for most of your buddies to catch up.
    They are one of those cars that you drive and feel you are not going super quick but then realise you are after the cop tells you he has been chasing you for hour trying to catch up.
    I am told they are fairly easy to extract more bhp safely out of them as well although I have never played around with them. I am no indepth expert on the GT4's but I believe Sean at Zen Autoworks is. Sean's a member on here and will probably answer any questions.

Finally.... everyone has the cars they like and dislike or follow so the GT4 will not be for everyone. I have owned and driven almost every JDM of this era (mid 90's) and the ST205 is still my favorite of the AWD vehicles. Before the ST205, I had a soft spot (still have) for the Pulsar GTi-R but that is another story.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

Beats the F20c >_<

User Info Menu

The 3S-GTE originated in the ST165 (187HP) GT-Four back in late 1985 with water-to-air intercooler .... grew up a bit for the ST185 (220HP) with air-to-air intercooler .... the RC ST185 came with a water-to-air and more aggressive ECU tune for 230HP.

Then the ST205 with more responsive CT20B turbo and water-to-air intercooler. I always tell people the MR2 borrowed the 3S-GTE from its bigger brother

Having owned two ST165s, my current daily driver ST185, and an ST185 RC, I'm itching to try out the ST205. It's been a halo car for me and I expect they will catch on fast in Canada.

I've always like the Caldina and thought it would make a great family car. I do not know much about the engine tune on them though.

The 3S-GTE can easily put out a reliable 300HP at the wheels with a straight-shielded intake, 3" turbo back exhaust and slightly more that stock boost. Many have reported 400HP with more upgrades ... I don't claim to be a tuner but do know the 3S-GTE is a very reliable platform to start a build. They have a certain character to them .... not 100% smooth so you can feel the revs in your seat.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yes 3sgte extremely reliable. I've been around the MR2 community(although I owned a mk1 sc model) and lots of owners still using stock internals for 300-350rwhp. ST05 easier to make power right out of the box.

From what I can remember some differences between Gen III(ST05) and Gen II is the the electrontics, along with the Turbo and head. Gen II 3sgte ecu limits the boost to around 12psi. The Gen III ECU boost cut out is 18psi. Gen III uses the CT20B as mentioned, and a very simple and easy turbo upgrade for even the first generation (N.American) 3sgte. Throttle body for gen III is also 65mm vs 60mm gen I. Not sure if the Gen II is the same as the gen III?

ST05 air to water intercooler is also a big plus!