Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celica ST205 was the best chassis and overall model

User Info Menu

Default Celica ST205 was the best chassis and overall model

I think this is the best looking and most modern model even by today's standards and it had the AWD with extra power.

The ZZT231 from 1999 and on is a big disappointment IMHO. Only 190HP and FF, no more AWD. Toyota like many manufacturers have gone soft with their age and have become confined to boring and useless econoboxes.

User Info Menu

The newer "7th Gen" was a big disappointment but we must remember that Toyota's offering in North America for the 6th gen was not much to write home about either .... I'd say it fell apart over here after 1993 when the last 83 ST185s reached our shores.

The best 6th gen we could buy new here was the 135HP GTS .... until now.

Rally sports were never followed by the masses here ... hence a whopping 83 total ST185 sales in US/Canada in '93. Toyota figured out most North Americans would not pony up and pay Supra money for a Celica.

User Info Menu

It's safe to say that the likely reason in North America we didn't see many great models or at least the great versions, is because maybe most of us were too ignorant about cars, so we wouldn't value the added features of the best JDMs, at least back in those times.

User Info Menu

whats the difference between 94 and pre 94 JDM celicas?

User Info Menu

The ST185 was better in the rally and some Celica purists seem to prefer it. It also had the older body style and less HP.

User Info Menu

I used to have a 91 ST185 (GT-FOUR RC). I think it was kinda cool but I love my Subaru way more! And its easier to work on and has way more parts options. Looks cooler too. But that water to air intercooler was sweet as well as a bullet proof tranny and insane potential engine.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Wasn't the ST185 GT-FOUR RC much more rare compared to the ST205? I'm guessing that's why parts were more hard to find. I really love the looks in the ST205, but for rally the ST185 was the best Toyota had.

I think ST205 had a lot more production, and wonder if parts are any better for us Canadians? If not I'm sure lots of suppliers in Japan can ship parts.

User Info Menu

I don't think so. They made 5000 rc's world wide and none sold in north America. While they only had 3500 wrc st205's and nonesold in north America. We at least had the altrac which was very similar to the rc.

Even for the st185 japan didn't have any parts really aside from the engine. Suspension was the most difficult to find.

User Info Menu

there was only 2500 WRC ST205's..... or so Wikipedia says..

and i will soon have one..

User Info Menu

Oh ok maybe it was 2500. I can't remember lol. Thx for the correction.