Thread: Sadly it looks like I got ripped off by Right Drive, and I have proof. It's fraud.

User Info Menu

Default Sadly it looks like I got ripped off by Right Drive, and I have proof. It's fraud.

So in January of 2017 I started with importing an RX7 with these guys. I found this car on Goo-Net and earlier I had talked with Right Drive and they said they would import it for me.

The link is now dead but it's part of my evidence against them.

Your Inquiry

Name: ***
    Company: none
    E-mail: ***
    Country Code: 1
    Telephone Number: **
    Subject: Get a Quote
    Comment: I am interested in importing this RX7 and what it would cost to get it shipped to the United States.

Also want to be sure you take care of all shippping and documentation.
    Information: Yes
    Device: PC

Stock_id: 0704069A30161126W001
    Body Number: FD3S-100934
    Make:MAZDA
    Model: EFINI RX-7
    Model Type: TYPE R
    Engine Model: FD3S
    Year: 1992
    Color: D GREEN
    Mileage: 45000km
    T/M: MT
    Fuel: Gasoline
    Repaired: None
    Japanese Domestic Price: 1,480,000yen
    Goo-netExchangeURL: can'tpostlinks.700070406930161126001.can'tpost
    I emailed right drive with this

So I spotted a ridiculously clean RX7 on a Japanese site for sale:

can'tpostlinks.700070406930161126001.can'tpost

I'm wondering if you would import this and if so how much would I expect to pay?
    They said it would cost about $20,000. The car was $14k USD. Their fees were expensive but I was dumb and accepted this simply because they claimed they warranty the car and fix anything that is messed up with it.

They replied with this

Hi Mike,

You’re right, that unit is very clean!!

With all fees, including Japanese taxes, full maintenance upon arrival, licensing, etc you’d be at about $27K + HST for that particular RX7.

I’ve got *** CC’d here and he can be of more help to get the process rolling for you!
    So it is no mistake that this car is the one specifically they were supposed to target. The money there is in canadian dollars.

They later sent me an invoice with a delivery date of March 2016 (mistake it was supposed to be 2017). After that I sent them the money and they basically went from being very communicative to me having to harass them for any updates. This lasted until around January of this year when I started to get much more combative with them.

During this time they were going to comp me on parts but never would reply to emails on that.

Finally they claimed to have the car and were working on it by April. They posted a picture of the car on their Facebook which lead to my first suspicion. The car looked similar but the wheels and the Efini badge looked like in much worse condition than I remembered. I unfortunately had no picture to confirm this.

A major outrage happened a month later because they were supposed to contact me on the car. I took time off work to do a teleconference with them. They didn't show up. This is when I started threatening them with legal action demanding my money back. Despite me asking for my money back several times they insist they are still intending to ship the car and all that and fixing it, doing things for free, etc. Over a couple of weeks I keep asking for a shipping date, they will not give me one. I tell them I will receive the car or money by June 1st. They reup their efforts to contact and appease me.

Fastforward to Monday of this week. I flat out threaten reporting them to OMVIC and possibly suing them. The owner contacts me for the first time in a long while today and says "we're sending it soon, we had all these issues, we fixed all these things for free, etc etc etc". Then he says the key words. We didn't deliver it because it had a build date of 12/1992. I KNEW for a fact this was BS and called him out on the phone about it saying it was 2/1992 (really 1/1992). He basically says i'm mistaken and I said I will check it out.

So I search through my old emails and find the vin and all that I quoted at the beginning. I search for it and I find the car is in the US for sale right now in Illinois. They quite literally have sold me a car that doesn't exist. They never had it. They are fixing up a shitty car with unknown miles and all that and trying to pass it off as the car I selected.

This i found out today. This is literal criminal behavior and i'm not sure what I need to do. I sent an email to a FBI agent someone at my work knows and I left two lawyers a voicemail on it.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

User Info Menu

I'd post the links to the car but can't so really just google that vin if you want to see it.

They replied to my email I sent saying

Hi ***,

Im just getting wind of all of this. lots to absorb here and we will he forwarding this to Japan.

If what you are saying is true then certainly we will have to work out a refund arrangement.

We will hear what Japan has to say on this and will get back to you in the morning.
    I told him I don't believe him but he should understand why.

Regardless if he's telling the truth it should have been caught when the shipping date was so different.
    Last edited by Kanaric; 06-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello Kanaric and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your experience there are many scams with cars today and unfortunately Canadians whether here or in Japan are often a part of them and some can be excellent con artists .

I have dealt with RightDrive a few times for appraisals and all went well years ago but found the last time (about 8 months ago) they didn't even get back to me and the last feedback about them is that communication is spotty at best.

So if I understand you right you paid about $20K CAD for an RX7 that you still don't have after 1.5 years? I really can't see any valid excuse other than they never had the car to sell and/or didn't use your funds to purchase the vehicle. You should definitely get in touch with OMVIC and see if they can help you.

If the above doesn't work If it were me I'd send them a demand letter explaining what you are looking for (eg. a refund) and give them a deadline to resolve the issue and what steps you'll take if they don't resolve it. If they don't resolve the issue by the deadline then it is a green light to sue them (just make sure you have things like invoices, proof of payment etc...). But the one tricky question about suing is do they have money and/or will they run from the issue even if you win? Still by doing the above they would probably prioritize any possible refund over any other people that they may owe cars/money to.

User Info Menu

Are you from or in the US? If this is coming up about the month I'm assuming it is for the US?

I checked the chassis and it is indeed January:

Chassis ID-Number

Month of production
    06 january 1992
    Month of production
    january 1992

User Info Menu

So if I understand you right you paid about $20K CAD for an RX7 that you still don't have after 1.5 years? I really can't see any valid excuse other than they never had the car to sell and/or didn't use your funds to purchase the vehicle. You should definitely get in touch with OMVIC and see if they can help you.
    Yup.

I tried calling OMVIC yesterday but they want me to wait on a response to my asking for my money back before I did anything.

If the above doesn't work If it were me I'd send them a demand letter explaining what you are looking for (eg. a refund) and give them a deadline to resolve the issue and what steps you'll take if they don't resolve it. If they don't resolve the issue by the deadline then it is a green light to sue them (just make sure you have things like invoices, proof of payment etc...). But the one tricky question about suing is do they have money and/or will they run from the issue even if you win? Still by doing the above they would probably prioritize any possible refund over any other people that they may owe cars/money to.
    Ya for sure, i'm drafting a letter right now and i'm going to send it with a delivery receipt basically. I'm going to give them 5 days or so to begin working on sending my money from receipt of that and mention in there that I have sent multiple emails on this issue going back to a month ago.

I would like to think they will send me my money especially givent he last email but who knows.

Are you from or in the US? If this is coming up about the month I'm assuming it is for the US?

I checked the chassis and it is indeed January:
    Yup I am in the US.

They so far have not disputed my new claim but we'll see how that goes. They are supposed to get back to me today.

User Info Menu

Requested that this topic be deleted for now. They are going to begin refunding me. Seems like there is a timer to delete or edit posts here so I can't do that.

User Info Menu

Bump any update were you refunded or was the car delivered?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Bump any update were you refunded or was the car delivered?
    They refunded

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you got your money back at least. Hopefully you can find someone more trustworthy on the next go!