Thread: Side Marker Light Regulations - Subaru Forester (2003)

User Info Menu

Default Side Marker Light Regulations - Subaru Forester (2003)

Hello,

Great to be on this forum. Lots of really useful info on here that has helped me tons with my first import. So thanks to all.

I am expecting my Forester (2003 X20, 2.0L) to be here in a few weeks and am just getting everything ready for inspection. I am confused about exactly what is required for side marker lights. From the research I have done it seems that they may not be required if your head lights and tail lights wrap around (2009 Vehicle Lighting Protocol for the BCMoT).

If I actually replace my head lights on the 2003 with USDM or CDM headlights, they seem to all have amber reflectors and amber bulbs that wrap around. The JDM tail lights look essentially the same as the USDM, which wrap around and have red reflectors on the side.

If I do replace the front light assemblies, shouldn't this be adequate and meet the standards of side marker lights and reflectors?

I did a walk around at Velocity, in Vancouver, and it doesn't really make any logical sense as to what cars have them or not and why. Some had them with wrap around lens and reflectors and some didn't....

Also, are they any definitive checklists or procedures that shops use that I can cite, when going in for inspection? The MVA seems up to interpretation. I would like to go in with all the knowledge I can.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Welcome! Glad we could help you and congrats on the new Forester.

What province are you from that requires these changes? Normally side markers and tail lights from Japan will pass MVI with no issues. Only issues I have herd of is the DRL'S.
    - 1996 XI Honda Integra J32, ITR Clone -
    - 2001 GDB STI WRB, Lachute Power Plant-
    - 1992 Honda Civic SI K20a2 -
    - 2001 Honda S2000 -

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. I am in BC....need to update my profile.

User Info Menu

I've never needed lightup sidemarkers but any shop going by the book will need reflectors. You can buy them from Canadian Tire (orange for the front and red for the rear) and you will pass.

User Info Menu

If you search - Sample Template for Required Vehicle Compliance Information - May 2007
    It will bring up a pdf guide if you haven't seen that yet. I'd post the link but my post count is too low.

User Info Menu

Right on! Thanks for all the info.