Thread: USDM Headlights on 2003 non-turbo JDM Forester (2.0L)

User Info Menu

Default USDM Headlights on 2003 non-turbo JDM Forester (2.0L)

Stoked to get my Forester, I will probably be one of the few with a non-turbo on this forum, ha...

I was wondering if anyone has swapped the JDM headlights for the USDM ones, which have a reflector and amber bulb already mounted. I am thinking this should allow me to pass inspection without adding reflectors and side marker lights. I have compared the wiring diagrams and it looks doable. Just wanted to ask if anyone has attempted or has any information?

Of course, there are tons of people swapping in JDM in the USDM cars, ha but definitely not many doing the opposite....

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hey nvloc welcome to the forums! You shouldn't need to swap your headlights as they will be E-Coded and those are legal here (it's just that some shops don't know)

User Info Menu

I strongly considered a non-turbo Forester. The dual range gearbox is a nice feature. I chose a CRV over it, I'm sure there will be a time when I'll be wishing for the better awd system and dual range of the subaru at some point.

User Info Menu

Thanks JDMVIP! Sounds good. I will give it a shot without wiring in the domestic lights.

Yeah jrv128, it took me a while to decide but I finally went with the dual range manual. I am looking forward to it.

User Info Menu

One more thing though you do need DRL with Subaru's they are quite simple (just need 1 wire in the fusebox). There is a thread somewhere here on the forums I've made with info about the DRL's.