Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Please post your comments, suggestions and feedback for our site here

User Info Menu

+1 for editing build threads. Would love to keep things in one place. Also sometimes I hesitate to post because just in case it comes back around (insurance or otherwise), and it would be simpler without the info posted, I can't ever delete it.

I understand though how it can hurt continuity of threads.

User Info Menu

Hey guys I've just skimmed and I'll try and summarize what I've read here:

1.) People want the ability to edit, if I can lock this down to say just the pic/video forum I will do it because I do think that makes sense, but for most other threads it doesn't for many reasons or maybe leave it editable for a short window of time for typos. There are some other rare cases that make sense too but for that please PM one of us mods and we can consider it (as long as it doesn't affect the integrity of the site by editing it). You can just update your thread by making a new post. The other reason is that people following your thread won't notice your update/edit, and will only be notified by a new post. The other issue the bots which post something normal looking and then automatically replace it with SPAM later on.

I think Derek also pretty much put the rest of the explanation in my mouth
    We don't want open post editing. This will cause problems in the continuity of some threads. On other forums, it can feel like you are reading a Swiss-cheese version of the original. This is especially true when someone removes a section that was referred to in a quote... It's difficult to come up with the whole story.

This site prides itself as being the only forum on the Internet that has negative feedback on some companies. I find that many conning companies find a way to keep their track record clean through different means. I researched (and continue to) many of my competitors. I have probably put in many times more time and effort than even the most dedicated buyer and I have found that the average forum dealing with vehicle imports will delete feedback or ban users who speak out against sponsors of the site (or those who threaten them legally).

We are lucky to have what we have.

And that means putting up with the inconvenience of proof reading our posts. I also find it frusterating (and at times embarrassing) but that's the cost of true information.
    2.) Is there currently still any issue with some URLs not working? If so please post the examples.
    3.) If I missed anything or there's anything else please let us know.

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Two other things..

The 10 character minimum in posts. Could it maybe be lowered to 5 (or none). Saves writing "10 characters" under some posts

Also is more space for PM's possible? 200 fills up fast.

Thanks Areeb!

User Info Menu

I've been behind the scenes with 4x4wire.com since its inception, and I agree that allowing posters to edit has some downsides. You've covered most of them, but we came up against a situation (which I can't obviously divulge) where there was litigation threatened between users, and the original poster edited for content to avoid legal action. Definitely not a situation you want to be in, as a third party host. After that, we stuck with the time window editing, and it is now policy...

Allowing it in the pic thread might be advisable, when you consider that people sometimes change their hosting etc, and then you suddenly have a bunch of missing pics. But otherwise? Time window makes perfect sense, and may actually keep trouble to a minimum...

(edit: I'm just a newbie here, so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn in contributing in this thread...)
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Two other things..

The 10 character minimum in posts. Could it maybe be lowered to 5 (or none). Saves writing "10 characters" under some posts

Also is more space for PM's possible? 200 fills up fast.

Thanks Areeb!
    Sorry the 10 char minimum will stay because too many posts are already short/lacking info already. Think of us as the opposite of Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bishi View Post
    I've been behind the scenes with 4x4wire.com since its inception, and I agree that allowing posters to edit has some downsides. You've covered most of them, but we came up against a situation (which I can't obviously divulge) where there was litigation threatened between users, and the original poster edited for content to avoid legal action. Definitely not a situation you want to be in, as a third party host. After that, we stuck with the time window editing, and it is now policy...

Allowing it in the pic thread might be advisable, when you consider that people sometimes change their hosting etc, and then you suddenly have a bunch of missing pics. But otherwise? Time window makes perfect sense, and may actually keep trouble to a minimum...

(edit: I'm just a newbie here, so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn in contributing in this thread...)
    Thanks for the insight, it's always appreciated and you're not speaking out of turn. That's one thing I dislike about other forums, rules just invented to make the mods/admins feel special that are only self-serving. Without outside suggestions what may seem to make sense to a mod may needlessly annoy the rest of the community. My approach to forums has always been different than others. I don't claim to know everything and generally no one here judges someone's opinion except by the value of the comment itself. If it's a good comment why doesn't matter if it's an old thread or you're a 1 year old or 10 year old member?

I've been caught between parties in the situation you describe and have received numerous threats in various forms and threats of legal action and appreciate the concern. But it all comes down to the TOS of our site and that by using it, users are themselves responsible for the contents of their posts and that we can't be held responsible for their posts. I do agree it can get tricky if a post is libelous or alleged to be. Even in that case all parties are welcome to have their say which is a mitigating factor for someone who wants to sue a website for alleged defamatory or libelous comments about themselves or their company. We always allow and encourage those parties to respond here and it's that right that also generally absolves us of their legal action. I also think that when others see the example of how it affects their reputation they shy away from making such threats etc...I'm not a lawyer but that's generally the consensus I've found through research, example and case law.

User Info Menu

I just checked and all posts can be edited but there is a 5 minute time limit. I'd like to see what the other users and mods thinks is the most reasonable? For the reasons mentioned I still wouldn't like to see a long edit time frame.

I also can't find a way to make an exception for editing for certain forums. I think for now users will have to update with a new post and request a mod to update their original post (this mainly applies to the Video/Pic section).

As always please keep the complaints/suggestions coming guys.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 10-23-2011 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Anyone else with Firefox having trouble with input boxes here? For example, Login and Password, Chat entry, and even chat edit are tiny, tiny boxes for me now, resembling checkmark boxes. You can click on them, and they still work, but you will not be able to see what you are typing (or editing).
    I also don't have a flashing cursor here, while posting. No idea without guess and test to know where I am on the text body.

Firefox 7.01

User Info Menu

Are you running any popup blocking add-ons? No script or Adblock plus for example.

User Info Menu

No, just checked my addons, and I did have adblock, firebug and downthemall active, but have removed them all, restarted, and same issue.

User Info Menu

I`m running the newest version of firefox and don`t have them issues.

But an issue I do seem to have is the links to the thread in the email never work.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!