Thread: EJ20X and EJ20Y engine info in 2003-2008 Legacy BP5 / BL5

User Info Menu

Default EJ20X and EJ20Y engine info in 2003-2008 Legacy BP5 / BL5

Some useful info since a lot of members have these engines.

EJ20X uses the VF38 turbo and makes 260BHP in the auto versions.
    EJ20Y uses a TD04 turbo and makes 280BHP in the MT version.

These engines sound like they are tuned for fast and response and low down torque compared to previous versions (eg. twin turbo EJ206 and EJ208).

https://australiancar.reviews/Subaru...0Y_Engines.php

User Info Menu

They have AVCS as well (subaru's version of vtec), really nice motors.

User Info Menu

Yes dual AVCS (first engine to have it I believe?) and some other stuff the article misses. I think it doesn't mention the VF38 in the auto versions (just from memory). There isn't a ton of info on our engines either!

User Info Menu

How does it run on 91 octane? Mine hasn't done inspection yet but I'm a little worried about it.

Static compression is 9.5:1 but thanks to avcs the dynamic ratio is lower -- how much lower, who knows?

User Info Menu

I am in the same boat I need to sort out DRLs on Legacy first (think I will have it solved today with a resistor and a pack of new fuses lol). I am running on USDM 92 Octane gas (Chevron) and it has been running great it seems (only drove it home from port so far) but it would boost fine. I couldn't check for detonation or ping because I had fans on full blast and it was pouring rain and very wet on the road. But I think we will be OK but if we start modding or increasing boost that's a whole new game IMHO.
    I wonder what cables and software will give us live readings from our cars? I have some old cable I used on my V1 Impreza WRX RA (cannot remember the name).

I am wondering if the ROM software/tools for the 2002+ WRX would work?

User Info Menu

I got the Tactrix Openport 2.0. It’s like $150. Not sure about live data, but can open source tune.

User Info Menu

Thanks GC8 actually I finally remember my cable is called EvoScan and it seems like it can actually tune, flash and give live data from older and newer Subaru's and Mitsubishi's. But it's another story if I can find my license info from like 8 years ago

http://www.evoscan.com/