Thread: Turbo Rebuilds... Ugh...

User Info Menu

Default Turbo Rebuilds... Ugh...

Hey folks,

I've sourced a replacement motor for my BG5C GT-B. Figured I'd do a teardown and rebuild before putting it in. My cylinder head guy is on the case, and I'll post pictures of those later. In the meantime the bottom end will be coming apart and put back together with 8.5:1 slugs from Manley along with forged rods. Cylinder walls look almost new, so I doubt there will be much work beyond cleaning things up a bit.

I have a quick question for you all though.... How would you like a how-to for rebuilding the IHI VF-18/19/20/21 turbos?

I think I've found a parts kit, but I'll strip one of them down to confirm compatibility in the coming days and keep you all posted.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

A howto would be interesting. I really love it when long time members like you keep on owning the classic JDMs.
    Do you have a pic thread of your BG5?

I have owned a BH5 and now waiting on a BP5 to land.

User Info Menu

I haven't taken any recent photos unfortunately. Just of the teardown of the spare motor. At work right now so I can't post them, but will in the coming days. Hoping to get it painted while we swap the motor to freshen it up a bit.

Keeping the old car running can be a pain, I've had to replace brakes, two radiators, a motor, various trim pieces, the oddball fog-lights for the Limited version etc, but I find the look of acknowledgement from others is worth it.

User Info Menu

I see sorry to hear about the issues for most people these cars have been bullet proof. What kind of oil do you use and what brand and octane of gas?
    Do you take it to the track or boost without warming up?

Those Chinese eBay radiators are horrible if that's what you had unless it is a Denso or something kind of name brand. I've heard so many stories that the other brands just don't last!

It also could be as simple as you took it to bad oil change place (the kind that doesn't know to prefull the oil filter and this has happened to many in the UK!).

Looking forward to the rebuild and hopefully it lasts longer this time!

User Info Menu

You're right about bullet-proof. I've only ever used Petro Ultra-94 for fuel, and based on used oil analysis I've primarily put Rotella T-6 5w40 in it for oil. The motor is only being done because it's developed a horrible misfire at idle when cold, that clears up when it gets up to temperature.

The first radiator of course was the factory one, which failed when the plastic side tank cracked, the second one I bought from Blitz through Nengun. It developed about a half dozen leaks where the tubes met the tube-sheet on the passenger side when I'd only had it for about six months. I tried to get the warranty to cover it but they said I'd have to pay the shipping, and that there was still no guarantee that it would be covered, citing how cold it gets in Canada. I sent them a nice message about how it gets just as cold in Japan and they more-or-less told me to go away.

Turns out the radiator from a '94 Legacy Turbo fits, and that Mishimoto makes one. That's what's in the car now and it seems to be holding up just fine. So there's a top tip, buy a Mishimoto radiator.

As for the turbo's, I can now confirm that the VF20 & VF21 are indeed ball bearing turbos. I've got one of them just about completely apart now and they definitely need service, which is proving difficult.

More to come...