Thread: What The Auction Sheet Won't Tell You

User Info Menu

Default What The Auction Sheet Won't Tell You

Here is an example of my own car 2003 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B from USS, a grade 3.5 with 58K on the clock. There are many examples of some issues that are not shown on the auction sheet notes when bidding on a used vehicle from Japan. If the issue is considered normal for its age or the model it may not be noted. The only way to know the true condition is to have it inspected at auction before the bidding starts.

The notes say the following: "cracked dashboard, 3 cm rip on a seat, roof paint faded, some stain, some scratches and dents".
    This gives the buyer a chance to know what they are up against I got to see pics of how bad the W3 was (it is the top of the doors where the clear is peeling but without pics from the auction house there was no way to know this). The pics also reveal the underbody is quite clean and the engine is reported to be in excellent running condition.

Now this is not possible at all auction houses, nor is it possible without at least a few days notice and we normally don't do it for all cars but it can be done.

Those notes didn't mention any of the following when I had the car inspected at auction:

1. Looks like a torn inner CV boot and oil leak (not noted on the sheet).
    2. Transmission shakes when going into reverse

Last edited by jdmvip; 12-19-2018 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Weird the transmission shakes in reverse... Really odd that wasn't noted on the auction sheet. Did you pick up the car today?
    - 1996 XI Honda Integra J32, ITR Clone -
    - 2001 GDB STI WRB, Lachute Power Plant SOLD-
    - 1992 Honda Civic SI K20a2 Turbo -
    - 2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe -

User Info Menu

I think it is often normal for autos for example all of my Toyota's have done this (assuming this is what the inspector meant!). Eg. you go into "R" and the car shakes as it goes into gear often due to the transmission bushings or mounts not being 100%. They were also dire reporting the minor bronzing as "underbody rust" so this is the good thing if they are being brutal on the car it gave me more confidence.

Don't have the car yet though waiting for Port Authorization and haven't heard back from the port.

User Info Menu

Oh ok if its a normal auto thing, I suppose its nothing to be to concerned about

That's surprising, must be due to the holidays...
    - 1996 XI Honda Integra J32, ITR Clone -
    - 2001 GDB STI WRB, Lachute Power Plant SOLD-
    - 1992 Honda Civic SI K20a2 Turbo -
    - 2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe -

User Info Menu

Well I hope that's all it is lol.
    Yes it is really busy for them since Christmas is around the corner and they have some reduced hours.