Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enable DRL daytime running lights in Legacy BP5 / BL5

User Info Menu

Just had a look at the relays in the FSM. I think you should bridge the two sockets in what you have labeled as prong set 1. From what I can tell that is the circuit that is closed when the relay is energized. Now, I'm just some guy on the internet and not a very good electrician; will that turn on the lights all the time, or only when the ignition is switched on? Or burn down the car?

User Info Menu

Hey Oliver thanks for the help I can't honestly read the wiring diagram properly.
    But it is possible I am wrong about the 0V headlight portion.
    In the 12V ignition set I could run it to the other 0V prong right beside it because it also has 0V.
    That is the only other alternative.
    I hope as it is that I haven't fried anything lol.

How can I be sure of which 0V belongs to the headlight coil?
    I assumed it would be like VanMikel's diagram but maybe things are totally different in this new model.
    Could you find the relay wiring diagram for the previous model and compare?

User Info Menu

Hey guys so just an update I noticed I could no longer turn on my headlamps even with the relays plugged in! It turns out the fuses in the car for the relays were burnt out. I am not sure how but it looks like jumping the wires as I mentioned caused this because they worked fine prior to that.

Yet I am fairly confident what I have is the right way. What I did was replace one bad fuse for one of the headlight relays. Then I turned on the headlight with a probe stuck in the pin opposite to the constant 12V (the same spot I ran the 12V ignition into). I found that it was indeed flowing 12V. So there should be nothing wrong at the very least in sending the 12V there and it only had 12V when the headlight was turned on so I feel certain that is the correct way to run the wires (which is what I did already).

I had a lot more trouble fitting this 16 gauge wiring into the relay compared to my BH5 Legacy. Is it possible that because it wasn't crimped and I didn't use a spade connector that this somehow caused a short that blew up both fuses?

User Info Menu

I used a spare fuse and wired it up again. With ignition on and lights off the headlamp turned on but the fuse popped almost right away.
    This is even with nicely crimped spade terminals.

Any idea what the issue could be?

User Info Menu

What’s up guys. This looks to be exactly what I did with my gc8. Sold it to get my element and guess what..... my BP5 just arrived before Christmas. I’ll check a Japanese manual and post back in a moment.

User Info Menu

Hey gc8 good to see you and looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your Legacy BP5 too! I remember from another post that yours was one I was about to bid on but then I got the silver one instead so that's very cool.

OK guys so based on gc8'd deleted msg he found a similar relay (4 prong with 2 sets). I see that the other one Oliver suggested I jumper 12V ignition into is actually some sort of resistor.
    So this makes sense, the relay is probably reducing the voltage before hitting the headlight coil. In these cars we can't jump 12V ignition directly without a resistor with the reason being that it is too much current (definitely more than the 7.5A relay fuses can handle so they pop and definitely more than the relay itself is sending to the 0V headlight coil).

So I checked resistance between the 12V ignition pin and the resistor pin and found ohms is about 140-150. My plan is to try and get a resistor in that range and wire as it I had things but of course with the resistor in line. I am hoping this will solve it and I am hoping this will help save other members this adventure I've gotten myself into .

I will update later today after I've hit the hardware store!

Cheers guys

User Info Menu

Where are the 7.5A relay fuses? I played around today and my headlights won’t turn on now. Haha.

User Info Menu

damn lol welcome to the 2003 Subaru DRL game of life
    Fuses are on the right side lower dash. It looks like a card slot but you pull it off.
    The back side shows you a diagram with corresponding fuse locations.

To find cheap new mini fuses hit up Walmart. You have a spare 7.5A fuse in the engine compartment fuse cover.
    I bought some cheap resistor pack just now from The Source which has 150 pieces (75 sets) of various types.
    It has a set of 150ohm but none are labelled so this will be fun!

The damage

Last edited by jdmvip; 01-06-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add pics

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Looks like 150 is a brown , green , black