Thread: 2002 WRX importing to BC

User Info Menu

Default 2002 WRX importing to BC

Okay I've been thinking I might go through BPro in a month or two to get a WRX bugeye I've heard good things with him and have you guys have any experience with him.

Okay my other question is the dreaded oop inspection and how to get it there. So does ICBC offer any sort of permit to drive it to the shipping yard to your house to get it ready for inspection?

And my last question is everything I need to pass inspection. I know I need dtrl (can I leave fog lights on and call them dtlr? Or can I jump the relay to the headlights and just have the headlights on all the time?) Dot tires won't be a issue as I will be ordering a set of rims and pilot sports with the car. Now the headlights and blinkers. Since the car was available here in Canada during those years. What are the chances the JDM car will have headlights or the equivalent to pass. And will I need to install side markers on the rear? I forget if the bugeye tail lights wrap around the side.

Thanks in advance if you can help

User Info Menu

Welcome to JDMVIP!

Yes Brian (B-Pro) is excellent to deal with, he is one of our reputable sponsors. I've personally dealt with him and had no issues.

I can't really help answer your question regarding permits for driving from point a to b. I assume they are different for each province. I don't live in BC, I am from the east coast. JDMVIP will defiantly be able to help you out, he lives in your area.

I personally own a STI bugeye and never changed anything light wise on my car and it passed no problem. As long as there is a visible light it will pass. ( fog, city, headlight etc..) Worse case just install a day time running module.

Hope that helps! Please make a build thread once you buy your JDM WRX
    - 1996 Honda Integra J32, ITR Clone -
    - 1992 Honda Civic SI K20a2 Turbo -

User Info Menu

ICBC will give you two permits. One from port to garage/your place. And a second permit (I needed 2nd permit to take my car to OOP garage). After that you're out of luck, you need to tow the car, no more permits.

User Info Menu

So with the first permit we can schedule an inspection and drive straight from the dock. Then proceed to drive it home and fix it then hopefully pass the oop when you're back the 2nd time?

How long does an OOP usually take? 2 hours?

Thanks for any feedback

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CT9Life View Post
    So with the first permit we can schedule an inspection and drive straight from the dock. Then proceed to drive it home and fix it then hopefully pass the oop when you're back the 2nd time?

How long does an OOP usually take? 2 hours?

Thanks for any feedback
    That's what I tried to do. I drove the car home with a permit and gave it a once over and activated the headlights as
    DRL with a relay. I then used a second permit to drive to a shop for inspection - which it passed. However, the shop was too busy and didn't complete the inspection that same day, so I towed it home, as I wasn't ready to plate the car at that time.

User Info Menu

So you didn't do the inspection with the first 24 hour pass? And ended up needing a tow the second time ouch. But your car was mechanically fine? And you added side markers or what else did you do? Drl and side markers.

Thanks for any help. Sorry I couldn't pm. Didn't have enough post counts.

User Info Menu

I forgot, I towed the car because I had no one to drive a second car back home! Doh!

I never even tried to have the car inspected on the day I picked it up at dock. I figured there would be some sort of problem, but their wasn't. All I needed was DRLs and side stick-on reflectors. Later on I found a bad heater control servo, and the car must have tagged a curb in Japan, which explains why it arrived on new snow tires and a RF wheel bearing that died soon after I started driving it daily!

So you didn't do the inspection with the first 24 hour pass? And ended up needing a tow the second time ouch. But your car was mechanically fine? And you added side markers or what else did you do? Drl and side markers.

Thanks for any help. Sorry I couldn't pm. Didn't have enough post counts.

User Info Menu

So externally all your jdm car needed was stick on reflectors x4 and a drl module. Did they bug you about non dot front lights? and were you tail lights dot? your import ordeal was pretty recent so where did you get your OOP inspection done?

Thanks for any help.

User Info Menu

So externally all your jdm car needed was stick on reflectors x4 and a drl module. Did they bug you about non dot front lights? and were you tail lights dot? your import ordeal was pretty recent so where did you get your OOP inspection done?

Thanks for any help.
    I did not need DOT lights, they were E code and were fine. However, the LF headlight had to be aimed way down to pass. I recommend USDM lights when available, if you want to see at night and not be a nuisance. I took the car to Strawberry Hill Auto in Surrey.

User Info Menu

I started a thread asking about j spec factory lights with cvse codes. No one has replied yet. But I think they're legal. But I just spend $1110 cad on usdm evo 8 hid housing. I don't even have the car yet!

Anyhow strawberry hill seems to be the go to place. How much did they charge?